PDA

View Full Version : William Moore Adey of Wotton (1859 - 1942)

johnadey
12-06-2006, 8:57 AM
I am trying to find out about the last few years of the life of the above character who was also known as More Adey. According to my records he was born in Wotton in approx 1859, he led an eventful life and in approx 1939 he was sent to an asylum, probably in Gloucestershire. He died on 31st January 1942 and has an obituary in The Times which skips over the last few years of his life simply saying that he had been lost sight of even by most of his surviving friends during the long years that were overshadowed by his illness. His place of burial is not known, he does not appear to have been buried in the parish church at Wotton, he may have been buried at the asylum but it is possible that he became a Roman Catholic and was buried at a Roman Catholic church elsewhere.

I would be most interested to hear from anyone who is able to trace him between 1939 to 1942. Having recently found that he died in Bristol I am assuming the he was in an asylum in Bristol and he may be buried there. Does anyone know of any asylums in Bristol which were open between 1939 and 1942?

Regards & thanks
John Adey

idredge
30-06-2006, 1:11 PM
Hi if he died in the Asylum it would be on the certificate, we had one in the 1800's where he died in the Devizes Asylum but he was buried outside, they gave the church where he was buried. This did help tracing other members of that family who were still living in that area at the time. Chances are that if there were no family members then he would have been buried in the grounds.

Irene

johnadey
11-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Thank you

John