PDA

View Full Version : 42nd Regiment

cdnsctgirl
11-06-2006, 1:34 AM
Thanks to Ancestry and their surprise 1841 Scotland census transcription, I found who I think is my great-great-great-grandfather living at Stirling Castle in Stirling, Scotland. (Scotland's People must have transcribed it incorrectly, because it never came up on their searches before, yet when I looked at the actual page on their site my ancestor's name is clearly there.) He was part of the 42nd Regiment (Black Watch), listed as a Drummer. He was with a bunch of other soldiers, and I'm guessing they were stationed at the castle at the time.

I haven't been able to find my ancestor in the 1851 census. He was married in Aberdeen in late 1851, but before that I don't know where he was. I'm guessing he was with his regiment, as he appears to be a bit of a career soldier (family legend says he died in or just after the Crimean War).

My question is this: would the 42nd Regiment all have been stationed in one place? If I find out where that place was at the time of the 1851 census, will I be any more likely to find this elusive ancestor?

Thanks,

Sarah

neil1821
11-06-2006, 8:51 AM
Sarah,
1st and 2nd battalions Black Watch (42nd Regiment) were stationed in Bermuda from 1847-1851 then transferred to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Many men of the regiment died of yellow fever in Bermuda and are buried there.

If you can give us a name, we can also check Crimean War medal roll and casualties.

Neil

cdnsctgirl
12-06-2006, 2:26 AM
His name was James Carden and he was born c1821 (according to the 1841 census, so it might be a few years off) in England.

neil1821
12-06-2006, 8:19 AM
Can confirm Drummer James Carden is on the Crimea medal roll for the 42nd Regt.
Can't tell you his regimental number because of legibility but it ends in "75"
Roll also confirms he was awarded the Alma clasp to his medal (again I'm afraid any more than that is tough to read).
I can't see him on the casualty roll however.

Neil

cdnsctgirl
12-06-2006, 9:22 PM
Thanks for looking! At least I know he was there, now.

I'm not sure whether he died in the Crimean War or later of injuries resulting from the war (family stories are sketchy). If it was the latter, it might explain why he isn't on the casualty roll. I'm not sure why I haven't been able to find his death anywhere, though...

Thank you again!

Sarah

cdnsctgirl
12-06-2006, 9:25 PM
Regimental number may have been 775. I have that in my records somewhere. Is there anything I can do with that?

neil1821
13-06-2006, 7:14 AM
The 42nd were also involved in the Indian Mutiny of 1857-58. Had a quick look in the medal roll and casualties here as well but couldn't see him (interestingly though, there is a James Carden listed, a private in the 61st Foot. I take it this isn't him).

If he died after the war, I wouldn't expect to see him listed in the casualty roll.
Have you checked Army Chaplains Death Index and others?

cdnsctgirl
14-06-2006, 3:51 AM
No, that probably isn't him, unless he faked his death and continued to serve in the military (his widow remarried in 1856).

I had a look at those sites, but there were no James Cardens listed. I may never find out what happened to him... if he died after he came home from Crimea, it was probably in Scotland in 1854. |banghead| Stupid 1855 cut-off date...

I'm more interested in finding out his parents' names and his actual date of birth. I was hoping the military records would lead me in that direction, since I can't find a death record on Scotland's People.

cdnsctgirl
23-02-2010, 7:41 PM
I think I may have found my James Carden, but I still don't have much more information for him.

There was a Private James Carden of the 42nd who was buried in Malta in May 1855 at the age of 37. Unfortunately, that was the only information I could find. I don't even know where in Malta he was buried (perhaps the cemetery doesn't even exist anymore).

Will this help me in my search, or am I still at a dead end?