PDA

View Full Version : Great or Grand

Ed McKie
08-06-2006, 7:15 AM
I used to have a great Uncle Henry, but my gene programme says that he is my Grand Uncle. I used to think that this was one of those transatlantic things, you know, like tomayto and tomarto, etc. But I have been thinking about this recently and had a google and found that generally the Americans use "Great" rather than "Grand". So where did this come from ? and is there a gen programme which uses "Great" ?

Cheers..Ed

Karen
08-06-2006, 8:17 AM
Kith & Kin just tells me I'm a grandniece ... even if I enter the two people in the relationship it allows tells me how the younger is related to the older and not v.v.! I must confess I've alway used great uncle/aunt, and heard that used in the family.

Diane Grant-Salmon
08-06-2006, 8:22 AM
Hi Ed,

Well, that is a surprise! I was born in the UK and it's always been Great-Uncle etc. (in my family anyway!)

When I had an American pen-pal years ago, it surprised me to find out that she used the term 'Grand' ...... so I assumed it was American based. ;)

AnnB
08-06-2006, 9:06 AM
Hello Ed

Like Diane, I have always thought it was great whatever, and I have only heard the term 'grand' used by Americans........ ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Ron Leech
09-06-2006, 8:17 AM
Generally in the UK people talk of their Grand parents and sibling of these are titled Great Uncles or Aunts. I read an article recently which said that for these Uncle and Aunts the terms Great and Grand were interchangeable.

A chum of mine is in the situation where he can be titled as a "Great Grand Uncle" this really appealed to him rather than being a Great Great Uncle.

Ladkyis
09-06-2006, 9:43 AM
Having recently become a step great grandmother (I was a child bride, honest) I have to say I don't really find it grand or great. The baby is the most perfect great grandchild EVER but I am not cut out to be great grand yet.

Ann