PDA

View Full Version : finding out how a soldier died

sarahjane
06-06-2006, 1:39 PM
Could someone please tell me how you find out how a soldier died in WWl? I have two soldiers one is Albert Hadyn Woosnam rifleman 228223 1st bn Monmouthshire Reg died 3rd Aug 1817 age 19 buried in Bedford House Cemetry.
The other soldier is Frederick Harwood Eustace died 1917 of Oxfordshire /Bucks regiment hes buried at high Wycombe cemetry. I've looked at the cemetry records and can't find him and can't find him on the CWGC either. I've looked at the Ox and Bucks regiment site and i don't think he even saw war his particular regiment didnt even leave England! So if anyone can help i'd appreciate it thanks.

Geoffers
06-06-2006, 2:29 PM
Cause of death is included in death certificates, though they can be vague - the 'died from wounds' type of note.

Deaths are indexed and can be searched on 1837online use the 'Overseas' section and search under the relevant index covering war deaths, army other ranks. With a reference from an index, you can order a certificate from the GRO.

The regiments web-site gives some information on where different units were posted and so you may be able to infer where someone received a fatal injury
http://www.regiments.org/

War diaries relating to specific units are held at The National Acrhives (TNA), they rarely give information on individuals but you can read what a unit was doing. Some war diaries are online at TNA's documents online

Geoffers

Geoffers
06-06-2006, 2:39 PM
The other soldier is Frederick Harwood Eustace died 1917 of Oxfordshire /Bucks regiment hes buried at high Wycombe cemetry. I've looked at the cemetry records and can't find him and can't find him on the CWGC either.He's on the CWGC web-site, just search under F EUSTACE, you'll get four hits and he is the last one, shown as F H Eustace, his grave or memorial is at Tyler's Green.

By the way, you might also try searching the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' index which is on 1837online. This gives a brief indication of how someone died - e.g. 'killed in action' - 'home' - 'died of wounds' etc.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
06-06-2006, 5:33 PM
Frederick Harwood Eustace
Died: 28/6/17
How died: Died [sic]
Theatre of war: Home

Peter Goodey
06-06-2006, 5:36 PM
Albert Hadyn Woosnam
Died: 3/8/17
How died: Killed in action
Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Terry Reeves
06-06-2006, 6:53 PM
Pte Eustace was serving in the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion when he died. From August to October 1917 they were at Portsmouth and then moved to Dover Garrison for the rest of the war. His death was almost certainly caused by one of three things: accident, illness or suicide. There may have been a coroners inquest and a search of the local newspapers in those areas, or that of his home town, may well carry a report. You may wish to carry out a search at the National Archive for his service record, if it has survived.

Terry Reeves

peter nicholl
06-06-2006, 7:19 PM
As Fred H Eustace died in England he should have a "normal" Death Certificate, obtainable from the General Register Office, either by letter or on-line.
The details are:
Fred H Eustace; June Quarter 1917; Fareham (the Office where the death was registered); Volume 2b; Page 741.

HTH
Peter Nicholl

sarahjane
07-06-2006, 2:28 PM
hey guys thats brilliant thankyou that should keep me busy for a while. Thanks again.