PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any surridges in Essex

LyndaGilbey
04-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Ive hit a brick wall and any help would be appreciated. Tracing my husbands pedigree line ive travelled to 1810 location Sampford. The last in line to Gilbey/gilbey line a THOMAS GILBEY. According to records he married a MARY SURRIDGE, but i cant find any mention of their marriage in the sampford parish records, nor proof of all their offspring ( Ido however know that CHARLES GILBEY/GILBY is their son from his birth certificate. What can i do now to find further details.
Thanks for yor help
Lynda

Andrew Mead
05-06-2006, 6:21 AM
When was their marriage (roughly)? When was Charles born?

Ron Leech
06-06-2006, 8:10 AM
The last in line to Gilbey/gilbey line a THOMAS GILBEY. According to records he married a MARY SURRIDGE, but i cant find any mention of their marriage in the sampford parish records, nor proof of all their offspring ( Ido however know that CHARLES GILBEY/GILBY is their son from his birth certificate.
When and where was the son born, you say you have his birth certificate? Tell us more about this and we may be able to offer more guidance. Place of birth may not be the same as where he was christened. Some families did not carry this out or waited and did a bulk christening at a later date if they had several children.

Are you able to find them in a census, 1851 would be best (if they were still alive) which may indicate where they were born and give more clues of likely locations to try for the marriage.

LyndaGilbey
07-06-2006, 4:20 PM
Many thanks for your reply. I hope the following information is more helpful.
Thomas Gilbey I believe (information gatherered from all census's available) was born in Old Sampford 1810. He was one of 5 children (that im aware of) all being christened or born according to Parish records in the Sampfords (Old, New, Little & Great).
Charles Gilbey son of Thomas was the eldest child who was also baptised in New Sampford 1844, his brothers and sisters (10 of them) were all born in Croxley Green, Herts according to the 1851 Census.

LyndaGilbey
07-06-2006, 4:24 PM
When was their marriage (roughly)? When was Charles born?

Many thanks for your reply. I hope the following information is more helpful.
Thomas Gilbey I believe (information gatherered from all census's available) was born in Old Sampford 1810. He was one of 5 children (that im aware of) all being christened or born according to Parish records in the Sampfords (Old, New, Little & Great).
Charles Gilbey son of Thomas was the eldest child who was also baptised in New Sampford 1844, his brothers and sisters (10 of them) were all born in Croxley Green, Herts according to the 1851 Census.