PDA

View Full Version : Deborah Penman McKenzie. Where did she go?

floramaggie
03-06-2006, 2:45 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Deborah Penman McKenzie? She was born 1834 at Dundee to James and Jessie[Janet, nee Mitchell] McKenzie.
She had siblings Charles b 1829, Thomas william 1837, James Mitchell 1839 and Jane Blackwood 1832.
Deborah was last heard of on the 1841 census living with some type of relative I presume. No trace of the rest of her family in Dundee although Jane came to Australia in 1858. Any clues?

Grant.Buttars
02-09-2006, 9:40 PM
This may be entirely coincidental but as neither Deborah as a forename nor Penman as a surname were that common in Dundee in the 19th century, to find them together makes me wonder whether there may have been some connection between your Deborah Penman McKenzie and my Deborah Henderson Penman.

My Deborah was the daughter of Robert Penman, blockmaker, and his wife Jane Maclean. She was born in Dundee in 1812 and married my 2nd great-granduncle, John Taylor, blockmaker, in 1838. Robert Penman and John Taylor were in business as blockmakers (rigging manufacturers for ships), based at King William Dock in Dundee.

floramaggie
03-09-2006, 7:54 AM
hi Grant. I dont know where the middle name came from. It seemed to me as though she was named after someone. Her sister Jane Blackwood mcKenzie, my gggrandmother was named after her grandmother Jane Blackwood, and her brother James has his mothers maiden name in the middle. I am really stuck on this family. Jane came to Australia but Deborah is the only family member I can find in 1841 census and she seems to be living with her mothers brothers family [James Mitchell]. I cant find any more reference to Deborah after 1841 or any marriage, but I am not able to access many records. Cheers