PDA

View Full Version : Peasmarsh & Rye

sircher
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I am looking for details of marriages in Rye and Peasmarsh and would be grateful for any help. Peasmarsh - in 1774 or 5 marriage of Hannah Oliver and John Clark(e). Rye - marriage of William Daniels and Elisabeth Spray, they have a daughter b 1789 but no evidence of other children so far.

Susan

Jane M
04-06-2006, 2:18 PM
Here they are,

Peasmarsh, East Sussex, 1 Jun 1775:
Hannah OLIVER
John CLARK, labourer

Rye, East Sussex, 5 Jun 1786:
William DANIEL, widr. (B)
Elizabeth SPROG, sp.botp.
Witness wit;Eliz.COLLETT &Jn.DANIEL
As you can see it's down as SPROG not SPRAY.

Although in Hastings not Rye I'm including this one in case it's relevant.

Hastings St. Clement, East Sussex, 6 Jan 1788:
William DANIEL
Elizabeth SPICE

Hope that's of some help,

jane

sircher
04-06-2006, 4:15 PM
Many thanks for that. I will investigate further. I have a daughter Elizabeth Daniel who is listed on the IGI as having Spray as a middle name and her mother is listed as Elizabeth Spray but there could be an error somewhere. Again many thanks.

Susan

sircher
04-06-2006, 5:19 PM
Jane, I have had a look and there is not a single Sprog on Ancestry. I think the marriage you found is probably the right one, just mistranscribed. If it's not too much of a cheek and you have the parish records do you think you could see if there is a birth for an Elizabeth Spray anywhere. I would like to trace the female line (mtDNA) .....just to be different!

Susan

Jane M
05-06-2006, 9:03 AM
Hi Susan,
That information was from the Sussex marriage Index, unfortunately I don't have the pr's.

Jane

sircher
05-06-2006, 7:31 PM
Many thanks anyway, at least i have some idea I'm on the right track. Looks like I shall be purchasing some parish records soon-cheaper than a visit to Sussex.

Regards Susan

Jane M
06-06-2006, 6:29 AM
I've found that's by far the easiest way of doing things (purchasing the pr's) you can browse at your leisure & you can always help others out by doing look-ups!

Good Luck,

Jane

Jimsgirl
08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
My husband's maternal family were Clark/Clarke and his grandfather was born in Rye. Before that the family lived in Icklesham which is nearby. Any link here?
Mary.

Jimsgirl
05-04-2008, 2:30 PM
I am still looking for links to William Clarke, born 1853 at Rye. He married a Louisa Sargent who died in 1913 at Hastings. I am searching for the date of his death with no luck, He was my husband's grandfather.

Jane M
05-04-2008, 4:36 PM
Hi Jimsgirl, was William around in the 1901 census? Do you think he died in Hastings? Where have you looked? Do you think he died before or after his wife? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to narrow down the time-frame as Clark/Clarke is a pretty common name ;)

jane

Jimsgirl
05-04-2008, 5:33 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply! I know he died in Hastings/St Leonards and died later then his wife. My mother-in-law was his youngest child and she was about 13 when her mother died and she lived with her father. They lived at one time in Western Road, St Leonards and this was after his wife died. Any help would be welcome! In 1901 they were living at Victoria Dwellings.

Mary.

Jane M
06-04-2008, 9:11 AM
Mary,
There is one death registered on FreeBMD, William Clarke Q1 1921 age 68, Hailsham reg. district (2b 138) Right spelling & right age. Can anyone in the family remember him moving from Hastings/St. Leonards & a rough year for his death or how old he was?

jane

Jimsgirl
06-04-2008, 9:34 AM
Hi Jane,
Thanks for the information. I have never heard of him moving to the Hailsham area but 1921 seems feasible too. I will make enquiries with the family but no-one seems to know much about him.
Mary.

Jan1954
06-04-2008, 9:43 AM
Mary,

If you order the certificate using the information that Jane has provided, there may be a clue on it such as address, informant etc.

Jane M
06-04-2008, 3:43 PM
Mary, if you go here http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/hailsham.html you will see the areas that Hailsham covered during which dates, something might ring a bell. I would ask around the family to see if this William fits the bill otherwise your paying out for something that's not going to be of much help. Surely someone must have a photo with an inscription a book a memory or something that might give a clue |banghead|

jane

Jimsgirl
06-04-2008, 5:56 PM
Hi,
You have me to a tee banging my head against a brick wall! I have emailed my sister-in-law re this but no reply so far. We think most of the papers, photos etc went to my mother-in-laws sister and that her daughter, now deceased, or her children seem to have lost it all. I will try to get in touch with them but don't hold out much hope.
Thanks for all your help.
Mary.

Jane M
07-04-2008, 5:51 AM
Wishing you the best of luck. What about looking for a possible will? There is information on the TNA site about how to go about looking for post 1858 wills?

Jane