PDA

View Full Version : Spares in Hurley/Baddesley

Tink
02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Hello

My gr gr grandfather William Spare was (according to the 1881 census) born in Baddesley in about 1817/19 by 1881 he was the publican at the Holly Bush pub in Hurley, Kingsbury. I have been unable to find him on the IGI and have no idea of his actual birthdate or parents and so cannot get any further back. I also cannot find his marriage to Anne and have no idea of her maiden name.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tink

ET in the USA
03-06-2006, 1:28 AM
Tink,
A search on the site below shows that there are 3 Baddesley, 2 Hurley and 3 Kingsbury towns to choose from. Since the message was originally sent to the Warwickshire section of the forum, I assume that it is one of the WAR Baddlesley towns, and the WAR Kingsbury. That means that if Wm. Spare married or had children in the same location as his birth or pub, it would have been in 3 possible registration districts. A look at the Free Birth, Marriage Death site ( freebmd.rootsweb.com ) shows that most of the early SPARE activity took place in Atherstone Reg Dist. There is, however a death for William Spare and Ann Spare in Tamworth, if their age is consistent with the 1881 census entry.

I suggest you take a look at the births on Free BMD and also ask someone to look at the 1841, `1851, 1861 and 1871 England census for you.

I suggest you then order some certificates online to verify your findings.

Deaths Sep 1888
Spare William 64 Tamworth 6b 224

Deaths Dec 1891
Spare Ann 67 Tamworth 6b 268

Town County Registration District

Baddesley Clinton WAR Solihull
Baddesley Ensor WAR Atherstone
Baddesley, North HAM Winchester

Hurley BRK 1837-1895 Cookham
1896- Maidenhead

Kingsbury MDX Hendon
Kingsbury WAR Tamworth
Kingsbury Episcopi SOM Langport

Procat
03-06-2006, 1:57 AM
Hi Tink,

In 1861 there is this:

Address: Hamlet of Hurley

Civil parish: Kingsbury
County/Island: Warwickshire

Source information: RG9/1971
Registration district: Tamworth
Sub-registration district: Fazeley
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Folio: 42
Page: 15
Household schedule number: 90

William Spare Head Mar 42 Drainer of land Warwickshire Baddesley
Ann Spare Wife Mar 32 Wife Carlisle
Mary A Spare Daur 8 Warwickshire Hurley
William Spare Son 6 Warwickshire Hurley
Thomas Spare Son 5 Warwickshire Hurley
Charles Spare Son 4 Mo Warwickshire Hurley

Procat
03-06-2006, 2:00 AM
In 1871

Civil Parish: Kingsbury
Town: Hurley
County/Island: Warwickshire

Source information: RG10/2912
Registration district: Tamworth
Sub-registration district: Fazeley
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Folio: 7
Page: 6
Household schedule number: 33

William Spare Head Mar 52 Ag Lab Warwick Hurley - His age may be incorrect as there is a line obscuring the first numeral.
Ann Spare Wife Mar 41 Scotland
Charles Spare Son 10 Scholar Warwick Hurley

Procat
03-06-2006, 2:11 AM
1851 census

Address: Dutson Village

Civil parish: St Stephen by Launceston
County/Island: Cornwall

Source information: HO107/1899
Registration district: Launceston
Sub-registration district: Alternon
ED, institution, or vessel: 7b
Folio: 270
Page: 26
Household schedule number: 98

Mary Jane Pethick Daur U 17 Dressmaker Crabtree Devon
William Spare Lodger Mar 33 Land Drainer Superintendant Kingsbury Warwickshire
Ann Spare Wife Mar 22 Wexford Ireland

(The previous schedule is a married couple by the name of Sutton. They are too young for Mary Jane Pethick to be their daughter)

As to whether all these Spares are the same couple is a bit of a mystery. Ann certainly seems to have been unsure of her place of birth if they are all the same.

Lottie
03-06-2006, 2:19 AM
Tink

I have located William and Ann in 1861 Census - their eldest child appears to have been born about 1853 - from 1861 Census Ann was born in Carlilse so possibly they married there - but in 1851 Census she states born in Wixford ,Ireland
Also in 1841 Census there is William born 1796 Baddesley - possibly his father, but no sign of William.
In 1851 William and Ann are in Cornwall!!

If you would like the full Census details - I could send them off forum!

Lottie
New Zealand

Tink
03-06-2006, 2:58 PM
Thanks to you all for looking this up - They certainly are a tricky lot - especially Ann - so she says she was born in Carlisle, Wixford Ireland, Scotland, and in the 1881 census she says she was born in Dudson in Cornwall - I'm now wondering whether he had more than one wife!

There also seems to be a Cornwall connection - they are there in 1851 and she says she was born in Cornwall (as well as everywhere else - perhaps she was a gypsy - or just told big porkies!) Also the Spare name is concentrated in two areas of the country in 1881 - Atherstone and Cornwall. I've done a bit of research in the IGI in the Cornwall area in case William was born there - there are lots of Spares but not him.

There were two children at least born in Ellerburne in Yorkshire - William and Thomas - so they definately moved around quite a bit and it's interesting that there are also other Spares born in Ellerburn - possibly his brother's children perhaps. I can see this lot are not going to be easy whereas - my Smith line, which I expected to be a headache, was relatively simple to get back to the mid 1700's.

Thanks again for all the pointers - I will follow them all up

Tink

Tink
03-06-2006, 3:57 PM
It's me again. I've just been digging on the IGI and wanted some second opinions on this.

William says he was born in Baddesley - the only Baddesley with Spares is Baddesley Ensor. He says on the 1881 that he was born in 1817. I have found an Anne Spare born in Baddesly Ensor 11 March 1821 to William Spare and Mary - possibly a younger sister?

Bearing in mind my hunch about the Cornwall connection and the free way they had with spelling back then is it possible that this is my gr gr grandfather William?:

William Sparr born 28 Dec 1818 St Merryn Cornwall to William Sparr and Mary.

Tink
03-06-2006, 4:40 PM
I'm trying my best to get my head around all the information you gave me and I'm coming up with various possibilities. I think you call it clutching at straws.

Firstly I don't think the deaths on the BMD that are mentioned are them as the ages are wrong for all the ages they gave for all the census

So going to the 1841 census - there is William born in Baddesley in 1796 who may or may not be my William's father, but as Lottie pointed out, there is no sign of my William in 1841.

I then looked for a marriage of William Spare around 1848 +- 10 years. There are no marriages that match in England however there is a marriage in Scotland - and strangely the marriage is also recorded in Ireland - of a William Spare and a Sarah Dale 13 July 1848 and it says: 75th Regiment, Stirling, Stirling Scotland. I know this is not Ann (unless she had a middle name she used) but is it possible that William was in the army and abroad during the 1841 census - and how would I find out if he was?

Hints and tips appreciated.

Tink

Tink
03-06-2006, 5:03 PM
Sorry about this theorising, but I've got little else to go on at the moment and I know it's like talking to myself but....I've got a website of the 75th (Stirling) Regiment. I can't find out whether this military William Spare is mine but....things are starting to add up, albeit with a bit of conjecture. The 75th Regiment was in Ireland between 1845-49 when they went to India. This military William Spare's marriage to Sarah Dale is recorded in Scotland - the home of the regiment, but also in Ireland. Remember Ann's confusion as to where she was born - sometimes Scotland, sometimes Ireland etc etc. Perhaps she just misunderstood the question and maybe she had another given name. Could this explain their gadding about in the initial stages of their marriage?

I'm also wondering if I've got two William and Anns.

Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Tink