PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Lisa Griffiths
02-06-2006, 7:39 PM
Was it natural to be married in the jewish faith in the family home rather than a synagogue during the 1870's?
Also does anyone know whether the synagogue at Birmingham England is still in use, my ggg grandparents were married their in the 1840's - much to the families amazement as we were all C of E.

Ladkyis
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes it was quite normal for Jewish people to be married in an ordinary home. I cannot find any mention of a Synagogue in Birmingham now in "A Guide to Jewish Genealogy In The United Kingdom" by Rosemary Wenzerul. There are several cemeteries mentioned.

Ann

Sherry
08-07-2006, 7:31 PM
Was it natural to be married in the jewish faith in the family home rather than a synagogue during the 1870's?
Also does anyone know whether the synagogue at Birmingham England is still in use, my ggg grandparents were married their in the 1840's - much to the families amazement as we were all C of E.
I expect you mean Singers Hill Synagogue, don't you? That would be the logical choice of venue. Check the internet-Anthony Joseph is the archivist there and very helpful.

Sherry