PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Family Bromsgrove

irisrose
01-06-2006, 3:43 PM
I am looking for information about the Tilt Family from Bromsgrove any help would be appreciated

Pam Downes
01-06-2006, 5:02 PM
Unless you give names and dates we can't help. Don't forget to tell us what information you already have (e.g. census details for 1891 and 1901, BMD certificates for Fred and Hilda). And if you have a positive query, tell us where you have already looked so we don't waste our time looking in the same place.
Pam

irisrose
02-06-2006, 9:52 AM
Sorry I am new to this site the information that I have for the Tilt Family goes back as far as Joseph Tilt 1785 he was married twice 1st time to Sarah Ward and the 2nd time to Mary Scranage who was the mother of my ancestor James. I got this information from freesearch.org and also family history online. His Father was William and Mother Mary I found this on freesearch.org I cannot be sure but on that site there is a William born 1753 that could be the correct one with Joseph as Father and Rosehannah as Mother how can I find out for certain if this is correct. I would like to go back that bit further to see if I am related to the Tilt family mentioned in Chance of Bromsgrove which is available to read on familyseach.org family history library catalog. If you can be of any help I would be very grateful thankyou.

Pam Downes
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I have a feeling that you are going to hate me, but unless you have written proof in family documents that are already in your possession then you would be well advised not to just claim what appears to be a family line from the internet. Yes, there are accurate lines on the net but until you have proved yours then take those lines with a rather large pinch of salt. (My great grandparents are listed with their children and dates of death. Or more accurately, another John and Elizabeth's children and dates of death.)
I presume from another reply where you say that you don't know what GRO means that you are quite new to family history, so before you get carried away with all these so-called ancestors you must first learn how to research them properly.
Start with something like
http://www.genuki.org.uk/
http://www.british-genealogy.com/
Read some of the books listed on the Genuki site.
Read these forums and see what advice is given to others.
Then you will (hopefully) be able to prove that the lines already on the net are not only yours but also accurate.
p.s. don't expect to get any housework, knitting, etc done for the next five years, and forget holidays spent anywhere except in county archive offices :D
Pam

irisrose
02-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Thank you for your help I have also used Ancestry for information I am pretty sure that I am correct up until Joseph 1785 as I am in contact with another person connected to the Tilt family and they confirmed this as being correct so far. But they have not gone back any further. I will be cautious though and recheck all the information thanks again