PDA

View Full Version : Thornbrughall, Stricklandketel 1411

Docwras
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
One of my brickwalls to start things off...

In the "Records of Kendale" book there is a mention of a Dokwra holding a tenament called Thornbrughall in Strickland Ketel by fealty at the death of Philippa, duchess of Ireland in 1411. I've managed to find this listed as a field name in "The Place Names of Westmorland" but so far haven't been able to find the location of the field as it doesn't exist under that name any more on any maps. Does anyone have any ideas where I may find (or even if they exist!) maps for such an early date that may help me locate this place? Strickland Ketel is an area to the north of present-day Kendal and the Dockwras did have Dockwra Hall in that area but I can't find mentions of Dockwra Hall so early - nothing much before 16th century.

ziksby
14-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Deeds relating to Preston Richard

FILE [no title] - ref. WD D/MD 18 - date: 1387
http://www.a2a.org.uk/images/file.gif[from Scope and Content] - To accept seisin of third part of Preston Rychard with a dove-cote in manor of Preston [Richard] will all lands, tenements, wastes, closes, mills, meadows, woods therein; also lands, tenements, mills, meadows, woods and wastes in hamlet of Stainton with all appurts.; and yearly rent of [4] 2s. 2d. in silver from lands of William de Thornburgh in Strikland Kettill, which (1) hold by feoffment from Thomas de Strikland and wife.

The above is taken from the A2A archives at .....
http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp

keyword: Thornburgh

Lots of references to Strikland if the above is not correct. You may be lucky.

Docwras
16-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks Roger, I've found several references to William Thornbrugh(s) in various old records but none of them indicate where Thornbrughall itself was within Strickland Ketel. I have a slightly later (1446) mention of a Roger Dokwra of Helsfell, yeoman, in connection with a dispute over trespasses claimed between two groups of people, in which Wm Thornbrugh was also mentioned as a bondholder in the dispute.