PDA

View Full Version : Lord Horatio Herbert Kitchener

Lindad
28-05-2006, 7:20 PM
Can anyone tell me please the names of his parents?

The only thing I've been able to discover is that he was 'born June 24, 1850, in Ballylongford, county Kerry, Ireland, of English parents'.

I am hoping they were Thomas and Jane Kitchener...!

peter nicholl
28-05-2006, 7:52 PM
Sorry, it looks as though his father was Lieutenant Colonel Henry Kitchener.

Lindad
28-05-2006, 8:05 PM
OK, thanks. I guess that would have made life far too simple!

Family tradition has it that 'the' Lord Kitchener is linked with this branch of the family somehow...so I'm trying to work out where he fits in. But, hey, where's the fun in genealogy without a mystery or two to solve? :D

peter nicholl
29-05-2006, 4:47 PM
IGI gives a marriage for Henry Horatio Kitchener and Frances Anne Chevalier in Knossington, Liecs on 24 July 1845.

FreeBMD gives the same couple, but the June Quarter 1845 and the marriage on the Hartismere, Suffolk Register.
Peter

Lindad
29-05-2006, 5:29 PM
Thanks.

I need to try and find the marriage of Thomas and Jane, both of whom were born c.1811 (according to the 1841 census) but I don't know where. They were living in Islington when the census was taken, but neither was born in the county. I think their oldest child was born c.1835 so the marriage would have been around the same time.

Then I need to find the birth and parents of Thomas and Henry. Hopefully I will discover they were brothers...!

Alex Ewen-French
30-05-2006, 8:22 AM
Henry Horatio Kitchener, father of Lord Horatio Kitchener, was born in London in 1805, the third son of William Kitchener and Emma Cripps. One of Henry Horatio Kitchener's brothers was called Thomas, but this Thomas was baptised in 1801, so unlikely to be your Thomas. All the children were baptised in London.

If there is any connection, then it must be further back than that generation - well, unless the first Thomas died, and they had another Thomas 10 years later

Alex