PDA

View Full Version : How to find a Scottish/English marriage

kesimmonds
27-05-2006, 9:55 AM
Can I please have suggestions as to how to find a marriage which *possibly* took place *somewhere* in Scotland?

I have a GGF William Edmondson b.c1855 in Preston, Lancs., marrying an Elizabeth (no maiden name) b. c1859 in Scotland. From the age of the oldest child, I would estimate they were married around 1880-82 (ish).
They are shown living in Preston, Lancs. in the 1901 Census.

I've looked at the England marriage register for 1879-1882, and haven't found any likely matches, so it's possible they were married in Scotland.
Oh, and they are both likely to be Catholics if that is of any use.
But where do I begin??

Mythology
27-05-2006, 1:59 PM
Well, if you want to try Scotland, they have a national index like England & Wales (religion wouldn't make any difference) available on a pay site: scotlands people

Before you spend money though, I would reconsider.
From another thread, I gather that in 1901, the fellow you're looking for is 46, is a tailor, is born Preston, married to an Elizabeth who is 42 born Scotland.
On the free 1881 census transcript, with the spelling given as Edmundson, in Preston we find 26 year-old William, a tailor, born Preston, married to 22 year-old Elizabeth, born Scotland.
His grandmother's there, but no children.

The marriage is, therefore, before the 1881 census, which knocks a bit off your 1880 to 1882 (ish) search, but probably not long before.

"I've looked at the England marriage register for 1879-1882, and haven't found any likely matches"
The FreeBMD transcript has a William Edmondson marriage in Preston Registration District in 1880 December quarter, vol. 8e, page 929, and one of two possible matches is Elizabeth Hunter.

The birth certificate for one of the children would confirm the mother's maiden name, you can't do family history by just census returns and indexes, but that one looks a strong possibility to me.

kesimmonds
28-05-2006, 8:42 AM
Wow! What can I say but thank you very much.
I don't know how I missed the marriage William Edmondson in Q4 of 1880, it does tie in well with the other information you gave. I'll get a birth certificate for my Grandfather to confirm it.
Thanks again!