PDA

View Full Version : looking for information Richardson 1770's

haylierose
26-05-2006, 3:41 PM
im looking for information on alexander richardson born 17th febuary 1774 in england somewhere we know he married a elizabeth haywood i don't knowwhere.... he died 14th april 1841 i only know of them having one child alexander haywood richardson born the 12th december 1810 and died 20 june 1874

im hoping to find a little more info then that on them and possibly the parents of theses two so i can get to my very first known decendant.
can anyone help????

DebbieAnn
26-05-2006, 5:24 PM
Alexander Richardson married Elizabeth Haywood in 1805 in St. Marylebone, Middlesex, according to Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780-1837. The original record gives his place of birth as Walton-upon-Thames, Surrey. It looks like Elizabeth was local.

Debbie

Note: FamilySearch gives the date of the marriage as 9 July 1805 at St. Mary's in Marylebone.

DebbieAnn
26-05-2006, 6:27 PM
There was an Elizabeth Haywood b: 4 Mar 1782 and christened 7 Apr 1782 at St. Mary's in Marylebone. Her parents were Joseph Haywood and Elizabeth (no maiden name given).

Also: there is a birth record for Emma Elizabeth Richardson b: 22 Jun 1808, christened: 10 Jul 1808 at Old Church, St. Pancras, London with parents Alexander Richardson and Elizabeth (no maiden name given). Possibly an older sister to your Alexander Haywood Richardson?

Debbie

DebbieAnn
26-05-2006, 6:37 PM
Alexander Haywood Richardson was christened on 21 Apr 1811 in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey.

Debbie

haylierose
28-05-2006, 2:26 PM
thank you that cleaned up alot of loose ends how would i go about finding out alexander richardsons parents or siblings???

Mythology
28-05-2006, 5:00 PM
"The original record gives his place of birth as Walton-upon-Thames, Surrey. "

It does not. The "b" on the Pallot's slip is for "bachelor", not "born".
Walton-upon-Thames is where he was living at the time of the marriage - useful information to some extent as, if you're lucky, he *may* have come from there originally, so the Walton PR would be top of the list for checking - but he could have been born/baptised anywhere.

Mythology
28-05-2006, 7:01 PM
Incidentally, if seeking copies of the original entries from the parish register which, as DebbieAnn correctly notes, the IGI calls "St. Mary's", be aware that the LDS appear to have got themselves totally confused, listing various versions of "St Mary" and "St Marylebone" for the same registers.

Registers are at the London Metropolitan Archives, and it is the one defined in their database as Saint Marylebone, Marylebone Road.

The other "St Mary" in Marylebone (defined by the LMA as Saint Mary, Bryanston Square) is not covered on the IGI, and did not open until 1825. Thanks to the use of "St Mary" by the LDS for what everyone else knows as "St Marylebone", I have known people who don't know the history of the churches look this one up instead and, on finding nothing before 1825, wrongly conclude that there must be earlier registers which the LDS used which are still held by the church!

Geoffers
28-05-2006, 8:03 PM
"The original record gives his place of birth as Walton-upon-Thames, Surrey. " It does not. The "b" on the Pallot's slip is for "bachelor", not "born". Walton-upon-Thames is where he was living at the time of the marriage - useful information to some extent as, if you're lucky, he *may* have come from there originally, so the Walton PR would be top of the list for checking - but he could have been born/baptised anywhere.
If they survive, another source you might try would be the Militia Ballot lists, and other Militia records to find out the spread of the name in and around Walton.

The idea being that although he moved away from his parish of birth in order to get married, some of his brothers, or his father/uncles may still be living in teh home parish. You hope that they will turn up.

The Land Tax returns from 1798 are another source that you might try to the same end, but of course being that much later, the family may have spread out further.

Geoffers.

DebbieAnn
28-05-2006, 8:52 PM
The "b" on the Pallot's slip is for "bachelor", not "born".
Walton-upon-Thames is where he was living at the time of the marriage - useful information to some extent as, if you're lucky, he *may* have come from there originally, so the Walton PR would be top of the list for checking - but he could have been born/baptised anywhere.

Thanks for that, Myth. I knew the 'b' was for bachelor, but had always thought the location, if different from the place of marriage, was the place of birth. Now I know better.

Debbie