PDA

View Full Version : Land Family Tiverton

Valerie Knock
25-05-2006, 2:00 AM
In 1841 census I thought I had found my Land family, Thomas, ( a tailor ) Eliza and Robert. It also shows a son Edwin b1827. Then 1851 it appears to be the same family but shows Edwin b1849. Could this be a different family?
Does anyone have any ideas how I can verify this. I have marriage certificate for Eliza showing Thomas father a tailor and a Robert Land as witness.
Looking forward to some help,
Valerie

ET in the USA
25-05-2006, 4:54 AM
Have you access to look at the actual scanned census image ?

The question on the census is 'age', not year born, therefore it could be that the transcriber mis-read, mis-typed, etc. the age on one of the images and the program they used calculated an incorrect year born. There are usually so many ticks and crosses on the census sheet, I can see how it could easily be mis-read. Look closely at the original image.

2. Big Edwin died between 1841 and 1851. Little Edwin was born in 1849 and they used the same name. I have often found several families with children having the same name (one after the other, often with other children in between) until they find one who lives or give up. Maybe Edwin is a special name, like the name of one of the Grandfathers, so they kept using it.
Look for a death and another birth between census dates.

Valerie Knock
25-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Geoffers
25-05-2006, 10:16 AM
.....and of course, young Edwin may have been the grandson of Thomas and Eliza.

The census may either incorrectly have recorded him as a son - or Edwin may have been the son of Edwin born c.1827 - or Edwin may have been the illeigitimate son of a daughter of Thomas, and brought up by Thomas as though he was a son, etc, etc.

It's always worth checking all possibilities, this could well be your family.

Geoffers