PDA

View Full Version : falls of gary

haylierose
22-05-2006, 9:38 AM
a family member of mine was the captian of a ship called the "falls of gary"
captian robert broadfoot dose anyone have any information on either the ship or the captian or know where i can get some .

HelenVSmith
23-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi

Don't know what date you are interested in but saw this:

http://www.1947project.com/topics/methods/drowning

Drowning

One Less Sailor in Pedro (http://www.1947project.com/FallsofGary)

!May 6, 1907
San Pedro

The British bark Falls of Gary arrived in San Pedro tonight, 144ml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />May 6, 1907
San Pedro

The British bark Falls of Gary arrived in San Pedro tonight, 144 days from Antwerp, journeying around the Horn to bring a load of cement to Los Angeles. An uneventful journey, except that they arrived one man short. James Milligan, cook and steward, had been drinking heavily before the vessel set off. At one day out he was put to bed by shipmates and when sought again, had vanished. The disappearance is being considered a suicide.% days from Antwerp, journeying around the Horn to bring a load of cement to Los Angeles. An uneventful journey, except that they arrived one man short. James Milligan, cook and steward, had been drinking heavily before the vessel set off. At one day out he was put to bed by shipmates and when sought again, had vanished. The disappearance is being considered a suicide.

Not a shocking story in and of itself—but one must wonder: cement? Had Los Angeles not evolved to the point of discovering the wonders of water mixed with gypsum? Granted, I love Hassids and Quentin Metsys and Belgian chocolate, but what makes Flemish cement so precious that it must be imported here on 3C/o:p>
Not a shocking story in and of itself—but one must wonder: cement? Had Los Angeles not evolved to the point of discovering the wonders of water mixed with gypsum? Granted, I love Hassids and Quentin Metsys and Belgian chocolate, but what makes Flemish cement so precious that it must be imported here on three-masted vessels flying the flag of Edward VII?"

Helen
&nbsp%three-masted vessels flying the flag of Edward VII?"</FONT>

Helen

Geoffers
23-05-2006, 7:26 AM
The National Maritime Museum www.nmm.ac.uk (http://www.nmm.ac.uk) has some photos of the ship in it's collection, you can order copies from the NMM.

Searching its catalogue shows the following pictures available:

FALLS OF GARRY (Br) 30.12 1886
4 masted barque
Wemyss Bay Shipping Co Ltd, (Hatfield, Cameron & Co, managers)
P3011 (4) B A copy of P3014.
P3012 (3) B At quayside.
P3013 (7) C At quayside.
P3014 (4) D At quayside. Negative unusable.
P3015 (4) C 22 Apr. 1911 Ashore Ballymacus Point, Oysterhaven,
near Kinsale. A cracked copy negative.
P3016 (4) B 22 Apr. 1911 Duplicate of P3015. Unbroken.
NB: This vessel also went aground at New
Caledonia on 23 February 1898 and it is possible
that the casualty listed above may be this one.
P7147 (--) B Loading lumber at Puget Sound. Crew group on
deck, also showing shute rigged for loading timber.

Geoffers

Geoffers
23-05-2006, 8:01 AM
Further to my last posting, you also asked about where to get information.

The National Archives (TNA) will hold some detail, see their research guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=131
There are several other guides which may be of use on TNA's site

You can also try Lloyds register and the Mercantile Navy List.

With research, you should be able to gather a fair bit of information on your chap.

Geoffers

AnnB
23-05-2006, 11:12 AM
If you put "Falls of Garry" (complete with inverted commas) into Google, you'll come up with quite a few links. (Thanks to Geoffers, I couldn't find anything much with one 'r' in Gary!) :)

Best wishes
Ann

haylierose
29-05-2006, 11:44 AM
as im in australia unless i wish to spend alot of money to hire someone to get the information i require from the archives i am unable to use them as a resource .. for this reason my reaserch into this part of my family stops here . thank you for your help if anyone dose have any information i can access via internet or phone i would love the help..

haylie