PDA

View Full Version : Soldier in the East Indies (1830)

Julie Tyrell
20-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I have just recieved the miltary record of one of my ancestors who was a soldier for 21 years.

He joined (1825 aged 19) the 2nd foot I can't read the regiment and was based in the East Indies for 19 years.

I have a little knowledge of this time frame or what was happening then.
I know this site has a lot of miltary experts and I hoped that someone could give me some more background information of the East Indies situation.

Also, I know that soldiers now join up for a set time, how did it work then, was 21 years the normal time for a soldier to serve.

thanks Julie

Geoffers
20-05-2006, 9:00 PM
I have just recieved the miltary record of one of my ancestors who was a soldier for 21 years. He joined (1825 aged 19) the 2nd foot I can't read the regiment
If it's the name of the regiment you're after and he joined the 2nd Foot, it would appear to be this:
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/002WSurr.htm

I have a little knowledge of this time frame......and I hoped that someone could give me some more background information of the East Indies situation.
The situation for the entire sub-continent over a period of time is a big ask. Lengthy books have been written. Does the military record give details of postings and any actions - dates?

Geoffers

susan-w
21-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Speaking of lengthy books, :) I’ve been recommended “Sahib” by Richard Holmes. I’m only on the introduction, but skipping ahead to p 233 (and refering to HM's army rather than the East India Co one), it says:

“NCOs and men had no option but to serve in India if their regiment was sent there. For most of our period enlistment was for life, which in practice meant twenty-five years, although shorter terms were offered in wartime.”

and

“But in the first half of the nineteenth century a posting to India was effectively a life sentence for most of the soldiers posted there: more of them died in India than ever saw their homes again.”

I can also recommend the India List on Rootsweb, particularly the archives.

Cheers
Sue

Julie Tyrell
21-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks both to Sue and Peter,

Now having looked at the documents in the light of a new day. It states he was discharged on medical grounds 'Chronic Hepatitis' due to habitual drunknesses, which appears to be quite common amongst soldiers. It didn't kill him though he lived to 79, married a girl 22 years his junior and had two children!

He served in the 2nd foot and then the 22nd Regiment, for most of the time in Afghanistan and then the East Indies.

Thanks Julie