PDA

View Full Version : Church of England Records in England & Australia

Prue Gore
20-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Rev. W.F.Gore (born Ireland) graduated from Trinity College,Dublin in 1841. He came to Australia in 1841, was made a Curate in 1843, then ordained as a priest in Dec. 1844 by Bishop Broughton. He was Incumbant of All Saints, Parramatta (Sydney) between 1849-62. He left for England, where he lived at Kenton and Feniton in Devon, then at Betchworth in Surrey.

The 1871 and 1881 Census lists him as Clergyman Church of England without Care of Souls. What exactly does this mean?

Was the Church of England in Australia administered from England at that time? I hope to find more defined records of his clerical history.
With thanks from Tasmania, Aus

ChristineR
20-05-2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/religion/stories/s820572.htm

this site has some links on it which might help.
It appears that the Church severed ties with England in 1962 - I think that is what I read :D

Christine

ChristineR
20-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Having a google on the meaning of "care without souls" and found already mentioned on another thread in these forums.

Means a vicar without a church.

Christine

John
20-05-2006, 11:47 AM
The 1871 and 1881 Census lists him as Clergyman Church of England without Care of Souls. What exactly does this mean?

Aus
He had no parish, therefore no parishoners therefore no souls to care for.

John

Philippa Todd
20-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Prue,

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read your post!

My great great Grandparents were married by "William F. Gore, BA., Chaplin" on the 19th of April 1845 in rural New South Wales (St. Albans Church, Parish of Rowan, in the County of Durham to be exact). The good Reverend also baptised their first child born later that year.

My GGGrandfather had been sent out as convict in 1833, and it was in an effort to discover more about that, that I happened to purchase a copy of the marriage certificate.

I've not been able to ascertain exactly where St. Albans was/is, but the marriage certificate lists the Bride and Groom as "of Peels River", six months later the Baptism certificate records their abode as "Muswellbrook". At least I know where that is!

I guess the Reverend Gore was doing a stint in the bush before taking up his post at All Saints.

Nice that he should show up here.

Good luck,
Philippa

Prue Gore
21-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the links. No Souls, no pay I presume?

I have a note suggesting that in 1862 he took extended leave from All Saints',Parramatta. Would he eventually have had to resign?

Would Lambeth Palace Library hold any records of his Ordination or any other relevant information?

He died at Betchworth, Surrey in 1885. "The Clergy List 1897", I presume, was current for that year, therefore too late.

Any other suggestions. Cheers.