PDA

View Full Version : Firemen?

Jane_Adams
19-05-2006, 10:50 AM
I have the death certificate of a James Young Hancock, who died in 1848, at the age of 26 "Accidentally killed at a fire by the falling in of the upper floors of a mill".

Were records kept of such incidents or of firemen? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking.

Location of death was Shadwell/Wapping in East London (Middlesex at the time).

Thanks.

Jane

Peter Goodey
19-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Is this any good to you?

Scope 1818-1987: fire reports, case papers and station registers
Repository London Metropolitan Archives: City of London
Record Reference LFCDA

Jane_Adams
19-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Is this any good to you?

Scope 1818-1987: fire reports, case papers and station registers
Repository London Metropolitan Archives: City of London
Record Reference LFCDA

Ooh, that looks useful. Where did you find this reference?

I have also emailed the records people at the London Fire Brigade, to see if they can help. Not sure, as technically, at the time, it was Middlesex, not London, and their website says they only have records back to 1860-odd. But they might be able to give me some pointers.

Peter Goodey
19-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Errr...NRA I think.

Here's some more (from A2A this time)

THE REPORTS ARE IN VERY LARGE AND HEAVY VOLUMES AND REQUIRE APPOINTMENTS MADE IN ADVANCE IN ORDER TO CONSULT THEM

[from Administrative History] Introductory note: In 1832 many of the London fire insurance companies amalgamated their separate fire brigades into one combined brigade. The London Fire Engine Establishment began [...] on 1 January 1833 and continued until it was taken over by the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1865. The London County Council inherited the responsibility in 1889.

[...]
FILE - Fire report - ref. LFE/13 - date: 1848
[...]

ChristineR
19-05-2006, 1:29 PM
I have the death certificate of a James Young Hancock, who died in 1848, at the age of 26 "Accidentally killed at a fire by the falling in of the upper floors of a mill".

Were records kept of such incidents or of firemen? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking.

Location of death was Shadwell/Wapping in East London (Middlesex at the time).

Thanks.

Jane
There would have been a Coroners inquest into the circumstances of death. There are other threads that mention how you find records of inquests - I'm in Australia and do not know how it works there. There would most likley be newspaper reports too.

ChristineR