PDA

View Full Version : Did Australia take a census ? If so, when ?

ET in the USA
19-05-2006, 5:14 AM
I have had 5 males with the surname McClure 'vanish' from England. I can't figure our where they went, they were there for the 1901 census and two married in 1905 & 1906, but it seems I can't find a death for any of them.

Did Australia take a census after 1901 that might give me some clue?

Anyone know about New Zealand ?

At least 4 of these males were medical practitioneers (in 1901 England 2 were qualified and 2 were medical students).

Melissa Jones
19-05-2006, 6:04 AM
The first census of Australia after Federation (1901) was taken on 2 April 1911 (the next censuses were in 1921, 1933 and 1947). Since the 1961 Census, Australia has completed a Census every 5 years (the next one is on 8 August 2006).

However, due to privacy reasons, all name-identified census returns after 1901 were detroyed. Due to Centenary of Federation celebrations though, the 2001 Census gave Australians the option of having their name-identified data retained at the National Archives. The information gathered in the 2001 census will be made public in 2100.

ET in the USA
19-05-2006, 6:35 AM
Thanks (and darn! )

:)

Melissa Jones
19-05-2006, 6:38 AM
No problem. It may be a bit of a long shot, but you could try and do a BDM search in the Australian states if you're still searching for them.

haylierose
20-05-2006, 11:59 AM
you could try searching to seee if they were in the military there skills would have been of use you can do this on line at the national archives or i can for u if you know their names and place of birth??

Kymbo
21-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi ET

I have access to the electoral roll for NSW, TAS & WA for 1903, at my local Family History Society.

I am going there in the next few days, so can have a look for you.

Could you tell me their first names & first names of the spouses of the ones you have married

Kym

ET in the USA
22-05-2006, 1:16 AM
Hi and thanks for the offer. I have included birth year in case you need it to determine if they are old enough to vote. In 1901 Thomas was 53 and his wife (no. 2) was 31. It is possible they continued to crank out annual children, or perhaps one of the others did. Do you know how/where to look for Australia BMD as suggested by Melissa below? I don't.

Elaine

Surname: McClure - for everyone

Christian names:
Thomas, head born c. 1848
Minnie Maud, his wife b.c. 1870
Doris Maude, daughter , b.c. 1893
Eileen, daughter , b.c. 1894

Sons:
Chares Thomas b.c. 1875
Gertrude, wife b.c. 1873
Charles R. , son b.c. 1901

Andrew , b.c. 1878
Walter St. Clair, b.c. 1881
William Hargreave , b.c. 1882
Randolph Shaw , b.c. 1883
Margaret Burton McClure or Sarah Jane McClure, possible wife for Randolph

Septimus, b.c. 1884

Kymbo
22-05-2006, 2:52 AM
Hi Elaine

For NSW births deaths & marriages, there is a free index. You can order certificates from this site or through a transcription agent in NSW.

Births 1788 to 1905
Marriages 1788 to 1955
Deaths 1788 to 1975

Link: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

There are heaps of McClure.

For VIC births deaths & marriages, there is an intial free search, then they
narrow it down to a results page. 20 results per page & 99c to view per page.
You will need to enter your credit card to view any results. After entering your credit card details, you are given a $10-00 search limit. However if you only view a few pages you will only be charged for whatever you viewed. Once your viewing charges go over the $10, you will be asked if you would like to continue.
The great thing with VIC B D & M, if you want to purchase a certificate you do so right there & then & can retrieve it immediately

Births: 1853 to 1924
Deaths: 1853 to 1985
Marriages: 1853 to 1942

Link: http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/IdxSearch?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

As for other states..I am not very familiar yet as my lines have only come to Australia through NSW & VIC.

I will get back to you with the Electoral Roll results over the next few days

Kym

Melissa Jones
22-05-2006, 2:57 AM
Hi Elaine,

Searches of NSW BMD indexes can be done at: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

Searches of Victorian BMD indexes can be done at:
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/IdxSearch?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

I did a brief search on the NSW website and didn't come across most of the names you mentioned.

Melissa

*edit* - whoops. Just noticed that Kym replied before me : )

ET in the USA
22-05-2006, 4:59 AM
Thanks to you both. When searching a new country, you can't have too much information. Even if it is duplicate :)

IreneH
22-05-2006, 7:30 PM
Forget NZ when it comes to census forms. All NZ census are destroyed. Most annoying!
BDMs are not online although I belive that they will be sometime in th future. Archives NZ have an online search called Archways, it is still in its infancy, but you can find stuff.

Irene

ET in the USA
22-05-2006, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the NZ update. It sounds like I am lucky most of my rellies came from England !

Kymbo
23-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Elaine

The following are the McClure people I found on the 1903 Electoral Roll for NSW WA & TAS Australia. I don't know if the other states are available, however this is the only one my Family History Society has.

I don't think these people are your lines as their occupations do not seem to have anything to do with a medical profession, but who knows sometime down the track, you may be able to link these people up with your lines.

First Name Resided State Occupation

Thomas Wrightville NSW Carter

Thomas Kalgoorlie WA Miner

Charles Thomas Turramurra NSW Salesman

Walter Kalgoorlie WA Woodcutter

William Stockton Newcastle NSW Independent Means

William Kalgoorlie WA Grocer

William Meekatharra " Groom

Kym

ET in the USA
23-05-2006, 3:56 PM
Kym,
Thanks yor looking. Like you said, you never know when info will suddenly make sense.

Lenore
24-06-2006, 6:46 AM
I have had 5 males with the surname McClure 'vanish' from England. I can't figure our where they went, they were there for the 1901 census and two married in 1905 & 1906, but it seems I can't find a death for any of them.

At least 4 of these males were medical practitioneers (in 1901 England 2 were qualified and 2 were medical students).If you haven't come up with anything on the McClures via BDM or electoral rolls, what about following up the angle of medical practice? If you locate your nearest medical library (a university one, perhaps) and check out their online catalogues, look for English or (less likely, I suppose) Australian medical registers or directories and see if any of them feature in them.

Best wishes,

Lenore

SuzTemple
21-08-2006, 5:28 PM
with that many Doctors surely at least one was seconded for first world war?
Using last known address contact the local family history group for help.
They may know of your family or at least be able to tell you Regiment family wold most likely have been part of.

If you are able to locate wife and children then try court records for crimes and emigration records to Australia.

If they died in military you may not find them listed under BDM in Britain and perhaps their death registration area has not yet transcribed all their records.

good luck. Check with LDS site for other research avenues.