PDA

View Full Version : The Workhouse post 1930

Julie Tyrell
17-05-2006, 7:36 PM
I understand that the Law changed on the running of Workhouse after 1930.

Could someone kindly explain in what way? How did this affect the inmates? When were Workhouse completely abolished and what would of happened to an inmate at the time - where would they go?

Thanks Julie

Peter Goodey
17-05-2006, 8:50 PM
"what would of happened"

Would have happened.

This will probably tell you what you want to know -

workhouses.org.uk

"Poor Laws"..."Poor Law History" ... "The End of the Workhouse".

Otherwise you'll probably find a book in your library that covers the subject in more depth.

Was this a general interest question or did you have a specific genealogical problem that prompted you to ask it?

Julie Tyrell
17-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Peter,

I will check out the website, I have looked at one good one but it gave very little info on what actually happened to the inmates.

I am still chasing my 'Ramsgate' family all over the country!

My Nan, who thought she was an only child turned out to have 6 half brothers and sisters! I have managed to track them down through the BMD records and have now located the death of one (Albert) at Hill House in 1930. I still can not find the death of my Nan's widowed mother and now wonder if she was in the workhouse at Minster too. This would have been possibly from 1923 onwards.

I have contacted the East Kent Archives and they are doing a search to establish when Albert was admitted, hopefully this may reveal some more clues.

All good fun!!

Peter Goodey
17-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Nothing happened to the inmates. Change of name and change of management, basically. Post 1930 records may be filed in a different series in a records office to reflect the fact that the county council and not the Board of Guardians were now responsible.

Julie Tyrell
17-05-2006, 10:55 PM
ok at least I know that the Workhouse wasn't closed or the inmates places elsewhere.

The problem I have is that the Archives office are reluctant to do a search of the Workhouse records due to the 100 year rule and as I don't have a death certificate for the mother! Even though if she was still alive she would be 120 this year!

I just hope that I get something through Albert (fingers crossed).

Thanks again