PDA

View Full Version : CUPITT George b. 9th March 1777

marlin1945
14-05-2006, 2:19 PM
I need help locating the origins of this CUPITT line in the UK.

Georges father was Austin CUPITT b. ?, d. ? m. 17 Apr 1769 St. Leonads CofE Shirland England Mary SEDDALL b. ? d. ?
Their Son George : b. 09 Mar 1777 Higham Derby England UK d. 14 Jun 1846 Windsor NSW Australia m. ? Mary WICKS b. ? 1777 d. 15 Jun 1845 Windsor NSW Australia

George joined the 102nd. Regiment 14-1-1793 just 3 weeks before his 15th birthday. He could not read or write but did learn to sign his name.
He migrated to Australia in 1797 with his wife on "Ganges" transporting 203 Irish convicts acting as a guard for 1 shilling per day as a private. They arrived 2nd June 1797. George transferred between regiments In NSW to avoid the 4 year turn around of the military.
He was discharged on 24-9-1823 and chose a land grant in lieu of a pension. Governor Brisbane's letter 28-10-1823 granting 100 acres within surveyed lands was lost and it took until 1830 after much correspondence that Governor Darling granted 100 acres at Castlereigh "Cupitt's Farm"
During the wait George purchased 32 rods of land from Rev. Samuel Marsden for £12.4.6 in George Street Windsor. This parcel of land remained with the family for 157 years until sold by Jack Holman in 1981.
The Cupitt farm produced wheat for the colony and notes in the 1824 Sydney Gazette recorded tenders from Mary Cupitt to supply 100 bushels @ six shillings and six pence and Mr. George Cupitt to supply 100 bushels at the same rate.
"In the name of God, Amen, I George Cupitt of the District of Evan in the colony of NSW, Farmer, being very sick and weak of Body but perfect mind and memory and knowing that it is appointed of all men once to die, do make this my last Will and Testament. First of all I give and recommend my soulis 15th birthday. He could not read or write but did learn to sign his name.
He migrated to Australia in 1797 with his wife on "Ganges" transporting 203 Irish convicts acting as a guard for 1 shilling per day as a private. They arrived 2nd June 1797. George transferred between regiments In NSW to avoid the 4 year turn around of the military.
He was discharged on 24-9-1823 and chose a land grant in lieu of a pension. Governor Brisbane's letter 28-10-1823 granting 100 acres within surveyed lands was lost and it took until 1830 after much correspondence that Governor Darling granted 100 acres at Castlereigh "Cupitt's Farm"
During the wait George purchased 32 rods of land from Rev. Samuel Marsden for £12.4.6 in George Street Windsor. This parcel of land remained with the family for 157 years until sold by Jack Holman in 1981.
The Cupitt farm produced wheat for the colony and notes in the 1824 Sydney Gazette recorded tenders from Mary Cupitt to supply 100 bushels @ six shillings and six pence and Mr. George Cupitt to supply 100 bushels at the same rate.
"In the name of God, Amen, I George Cupitt of the District of Evan in the colony of NSW, Farmer, being very sick and weak of Body but perfect mind and memory and knowing that it is appointed of all men once to die, do make this my last Will and Testament. First of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it, and my body I commend to the earth to be buried in decent Christian burial at the discretion of my Executors and as touching such worldly estate herewith it has pleased God to bless me in the following manner" He made his son George executer of his will and bequeathed the three properties that he had acquired to his three youngest children Eliza, James and Matilda with the proviso that on their deaths that the properties would then pass to his three grandsons George, Thomas and James the eldest of George and Sara’s brood.

kkopec
27-06-2007, 6:06 PM
I think Mary Siddall, his wife, was born in Whittington on 9 feb 1751/52. (On her marriage entry from St. Leonard's she was supposedly from Skegby. Could not verify that at all.) I am not totally sure of this educated guess, but the name Ellen (Helen) was used in my line thereafter several times. Mary's mother's name was Ellen in some records, Helen in others.
George's brother younger brother, Augustus Cupit b. 13 feb 1791, Shirland, is my direct line. (You will note that another Augustus Cupit whose parents were Austin/Mary was ALSO born in 1785. He died in 1789, Morton, Derbyshire and his death entry turned up in a baptismal entry...Thanks to my sharp-eyed cousin). They continued to preserve the name! My Augustus was sucessful, but there was a serious scandal attached as well. He never married his common-law wife. He was tenant farmer(1851 census says 210 acres)for Glasshouses Farm which was connected to the Whittington Glass Company owned by Henry Dixon. They recently did excavations nr Whittington (Sheffield University) and found a water trough like a swimming pool which he designed. Some day I plan to revisit Chesterfield and do some more research on Augustus. Some Australian researchers (Glenn Sungela?) claim he and Mary were buried at Elmton, Derbyshire. We were not able to verify that.
My cousin Gordon and I did an extensive study of this family and we don't concur with some of the Sungela research. I think that's enough for a start.