PDA

View Full Version : search for the rockhampton

haylierose
14-05-2006, 9:49 AM
according to shipping records the rockhampton arrrived in keppel bay 1863 yet i can find nothing else on this ship im trying to find out what fleet it belonged to and who owend it dose any one know any information on this ship????

keren
14-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi, I posted a link on your other thread, there are records in the Queensland LDS, they have the crew records of when it landed in Queensland in July 63, it then went onto somewhere else in Australia, looks like it left England in November 1862, unless I have read the record wrong!! They give you the LDS film reference so you can view it!

If you can get to your local LDS centre you might be able to get info on the owners of the ship. I have googled it and looked on a lot of the sites, as I am now hooked on your ship! Lol, but that is the only thing I can find. Sorry I cant be more helpful.

I am off to try one more time of finding some link to records that may be available from Liverpool.
keren

keren
14-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Here you are, not sure how much info is in it, as have only givien it a quick read, have to take the kids out!

http://www.cqhistory.com/events/immigration2.html#Rockhampton

haylierose
14-05-2006, 2:34 PM
thank you for that i have come across that story before yet that isone of the only bits of information i could find yet still after all of that there is no other reference to the ship i know in the records it says the passengers arived on the rockhampton but there is no ship called the rockhampton in that time frame anywhere else in the world as i can tell until the 1900"s its left me baffled

ChristineR
15-05-2006, 1:24 AM
Haylierose

"in the records it says the passengers arived on the Rockhampton but there is no ship called the rockhampton in that time frame"

Just because you cannot find it on the internet does not mean it didn't exist!

Keren has given you the information on the other thread, and mentioned it again here! The Rockhampton did arrive in Queensland, Keren has given you the date, and how you can find the crew lists. It is obviously an earlier ship of the same name. You cannot find this information on the internet - you have to view the microfilm of the records at your nearest LDS centre.

Christine

ChristineR
15-05-2006, 1:34 AM
I googled: found it.... even mentions your particular voyage so no doubt it is the same time frame.

Rockhampton. Wooden ship, 1065 ton. Built 1849. Sailing under the Black Ball flag, gained a most unsatisfactory reputation after having 29 deaths on a 116-day voyage from Liverpool to Keppel Bay (Queensland) in 1863, due to being ‘unsanitary and ill-ventilated .. and acts of immorality between the female passengers and crew’. After carrying immigrants to Queensland she transferred to the guano trade in 1867. [AS6]

Christine

ChristineR
15-05-2006, 1:35 AM
http://oceans1.customer.netspace.net.au/austrun-wrecks.html

this page here.

:) Christine

keren
15-05-2006, 1:17 PM
Lol Christene, how come your google worked and mine didnt!! :)

ChristineR
16-05-2006, 3:10 AM
because I spend so much time on this thing, that I think I know how it thinks!! :D

Probably used the keywords Rockhampton emigrant ship Australia, but it wasn't easy to find anything, but thank goodness I did.

ChristineR :)

haylierose
17-05-2006, 1:12 PM
what about a fleet called black ball flag???? it is a brittish fleet not an american one .the rockhampton belonged to it??????? any ideas

HelenVSmith
19-05-2006, 1:10 AM
Hi

These books should tell you more about the company. You should be able to order them using inter-library loan.

The passage makers.
By Michael Stammers
Brighton : Teredo Books, 1978.
Covers the history of the Black Ball Line 1852-1871
It provides an account of James Baines and his Black Ball Line, which brought many people to Australia from 1852. Includes a chapter on ‘The Queensland Venture’, an agreement to bring passengers to Queensland in the 1860s and the land order system. The ships’ illustrations are noteworthy.

Fast passage to Australia: the history of the Black Ball, Eagle and White Star Lines of Australian packets (G 387.542 1986) by Dave Hollett, covers a range of 19th century sea journeys to Australia on these shipping lines.

regards
helen