PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Cartoon

shentonjim
13-05-2006, 6:28 AM
little interesting snippets of possible protest see HO107/506/15 /38 front firstside of page 38 EXTRACT from the ACT 374 Victoria
looks like a male wearing a crown tried copy but adobie would let me ie read only

Wirral
13-05-2006, 10:09 AM
I can't get that reference to work.:confused:

margaretjanew
25-07-2006, 7:14 AM
Perhaps you could supply the link again, I can't find anything there.

Have you any more details, like a name on the page, a district, etc
Searching without a name on ancestry just comes up with no matches, the nearest I have come to it is from another post of yours, for James Shenton in 1841 census
However, that only goes as far as HO107/506 Folio 36 p26
Whalley, Lancashire
I would love to see what you mean!

Margaret

Pegasus
29-07-2006, 8:25 PM
The Ref should read:

HO107/506. E.D. 15 Folio 38

Which is (as ShentonJim stated) the front firstside (Rightside) of page 38.

Which is prefixed to part of the Census for the Parish of St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, Clitheroe & Haslingden, Lancashire!

(Disc No6 in the Lancashire 1841 CD Set that I have from S&N)

The 'Cartoon' is about 'Thumbnail' sized, & is quite good (taking into account the fact that it Is so Small & was probably 'Doodled' with a Quill Pen!

shentonjim
31-07-2006, 12:07 PM
thanks for the reply was thinking I was going batty please pass on to wirral tried send him an email of it

margaretjanew
01-09-2006, 7:37 AM
Still can't find it!
As I said before, if you give someone's name on the page, I might be able to find it that way, it would be interesting to see it.
Ancestry indexes the references differently presumably to S & N.

I thought that St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, was in London, perhaps I am mistaken. Clitheroe & Haslingden not listed as a Parish by Ancestry either!!

I am beginning to think that this census page is not available on Ancestry, quick search for anyone in Clitheroe or even Burnley does not come up with anything!
Margaret

Colin Moretti
01-09-2006, 9:24 AM
I thought that St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, was in London, perhaps I am mistaken. It is.

I think that you'll find that there is a sample page at the beginning of every enumerator's schedule and that it is always a page from Southwark, sometimes with the entries printed, sometimes hand-written. It confused be greatly when I started out as I was looking in St Saviour RD for my ancestors!

Colin

margaretjanew
01-09-2006, 12:01 PM
''HO107/506. E.D. 15 Folio 38
Which is (as ShentonJim stated) the front firstside (Rightside) of page 38.
Which is prefixed to part of the Census for the Parish of St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, Clitheroe & Haslingden, Lancashire!
(Disc No6 in the Lancashire 1841 CD Set that I have from S&N)''

All very well if you have S&N CD set, I'm looking at another source

''I think that you'll find that there is a sample page at the beginning of every enumerator's schedule and that it is always a page from Southwark, sometimes with the entries printed, sometimes hand-written. It confused be greatly when I started out as I was looking in St Saviour RD for my ancestors!''

I think I'll stick to Ancestry, I know it has it's limitations, but if you have to look for a Lancashire (or any other) Parish indexed as St Saviour, Southwark, it makes a mockery out of searching!!

Meanwhile, if any one has a name to search for on the appropriate page, I'd be grateful.
Sorry to seem so stupid, all I would like to do was to see what shentonjim was talking about.
Margaret

Colin Moretti
01-09-2006, 9:58 PM
''I think that you'll find that there is a sample page at the beginning of every enumerator's schedule and that it is always a page from Southwark, sometimes with the entries printed, sometimes hand-written. It confused be greatly when I started out as I was looking in St Saviour RD for my ancestors!''

I think I'll stick to Ancestry, I know it has it's limitations, but if you have to look for a Lancashire (or any other) Parish indexed as St Saviour, Southwark, it makes a mockery out of searching!!
You misunderstood my point Margaret. The "St Saviour" page formed part of the intructions to the enumerator, illustrating how to complete the returns, and appears in every schedule. St Saviour doesn't (shouldn't) appear in the index of any return (except, of course for the RD of St Saviour itself). If as Pegasus says "[the cartoon] is prefixed to part of the Census for the Parish of St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, Clitheroe & Haslingden, Lancashire!" then you won't ever find it in Ancestry, because Ancestry doesn't include that page in their images, I think |banghead| (unless someone knows otherwise). Pergasus is obviously not too familar with the location of Southwark :) .

To see the cartoon you'll either have to look at the film of the return or the images on one of the CDs that inludes all the information, eg the Archive CD books ones or, evidently, the S&N versionuthwark, sometimes with the entries printed, sometimes hand-written. It confused be greatly when I started out as I was looking in St Saviour RD for my ancestors!''

I think I'll stick to Ancestry, I know it has it's limitations, but if you have to look for a Lancashire (or any other) Parish indexed as St Saviour, Southwark, it makes a mockery out of searching!![/QUOTE]
You misunderstood my point Margaret. The "St Saviour" page formed part of the intructions to the enumerator, illustrating how to complete the returns, and appears in every schedule. St Saviour doesn't (shouldn't) appear in the index of any return (except, of course for the RD of St Saviour itself). If as Pegasus says "[the cartoon] is prefixed to part of the Census for the Parish of St Saviour, Borough of Southwalk, Clitheroe & Haslingden, Lancashire!" then you won't ever find it in Ancestry, because Ancestry doesn't include that page in their images, I think |banghead| (unless someone knows otherwise). Pergasus is obviously not too familar with the location of Southwark :) .

To see the cartoon you'll either have to look at the film of the return or the images on one of the CDs that inludes all the information, eg the Archive CD books ones or, evidently, the S&N versions.

Colin

Colin Moretti
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Curses

Caught by the repeating text bug |computer| (there's not a smiley for software)

Colin

blue eyes
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Southwark used to come under Surrey

shentonjim
05-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Didn't mean to cause shuch a up set. St Saviour is there as example to the collectors. I am useing stepping stones full copy, working from down under
the ref is to the original census enumeration copy. the contains a copy of an extraction from the act 3 & 4 the example being a print page allways survives the sand of time