PDA

View Full Version : Fishmonger's

laroc
31-10-2004, 6:29 PM
Hi
Can anyone tell me if a fishmonger would have belonged to a guild? If so how would I find out which one and where any records might be held?
My ancestor was a Master Fishmonger at his death in 1906 in Plumstead, London, how would a fishmonger become a master fishmonger?
Any ideas and suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thankyou
Carol

Rod Neep
31-10-2004, 9:40 PM
A "Master" is someone who has passed his apprenticeship, runs his own business, and employs people. No more than that.

The sequence of "qualification" is:

Apprentice
Journeyman (qualified, but doesn't run his own business)
Master
Regards
Rod

laroc
01-11-2004, 11:59 AM
A "Master" is someone who has passed his apprenticeship, runs his own business, and employs people. No more than that.

The sequence of "qualification" is:

Apprentice
Journeyman (qualified, but doesn't run his own business)
Master
Regards
Rod
Hi Rod
Thanks for the quick reply, my next question is where would I find apprenticeship records for Plumstead, Kent now in London.
Presumably he would have put his employees through an apprenticeship also, even though I am pretty sure they were his brother in laws, would all records be in the same place?
Sorry if these questions seem silly and have obvious answers.

AnnB
01-11-2004, 2:05 PM
You can find the website for the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers. It gives you the history and other information about the Company. On the site, there is also a Livery Company's Database, where you can find the addresses, e-mail addresses, websites, etc., of other Livery Companies.
Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
01-11-2004, 7:55 PM
Carol:

It's extremely unlikely that you'll find anything. Unless he was in the City of London, he probably was not a member of the livery company and would not have served a formal (registered) apprenticeship.

However you might be lucky...<g>

laroc
02-11-2004, 8:41 PM
Thankyou to Peter and Ann
for the help but neither of your links seem to work I am just getting the page can not be displayed bit any ideas why?
Carol

laroc
02-11-2004, 8:51 PM
Hi Peter and Ann I have just done a quick search on the internet and come up with this http://www.heraldicmedia.com/site/info/livery/ I think fishhall.co.uk must be an old url.
Carol

AnnB
03-11-2004, 7:57 AM
Hello Carol
Thanks for the info. I realise when I posted my original reply, I stuck a full stop at the end of the web address (sorry, force of habit at the end of a sentence!) but when I tried the address (without the full stop) it worked a couple of days ago. I've been to your suggested site, and under the link to fishmongers it gives the same address......! I think I must have put a jinx on it.
Best wishes
Ann