PDA

View Full Version : Bridgenorth parish records 1873

Lesleyguest
11-05-2006, 4:22 PM
I'm trying to identify Alice MORRIS, b. 1873, parents, George and Emma, (IGI), in the St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgenorth parish records.

On the 1891, an Alice E. MORRIS, age 17, born Bridgenorth, appears as a servant in Didsbury, Lancashire.

In 1898, my ggrandmother, Alice Edith MORRIS, married in Pendleton, Salford, Lancs. Didsbury is not too far from Pendleton, so the Bridgenorth servant may be my ggrandmother.

Any interest appreciated. Regards, Lesleyguest

uksearch
12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Do you have the marriage details? If not there is a reasonable chance the PRs are here. Of course it may have been a civil marriage.

UK

Lesleyguest
13-05-2006, 5:09 AM
Hello,

If your looking through the Bridgenorth parish records and come across an Alice E. MORRIS, b. 1873c. then it would maybe enable me to identify this Alice Didsbury servant on the 1881 census.

I'm hoping there aren't too many Alice E. MORRISs born at around that time to make this possible. Possibly her parents were this George and Emma from the IGI, but I haven't been able to find any further details about their marriage at the moment.

Regards, and thank you for your reply. lesleyguest

uksearch
13-05-2006, 1:26 PM
No...I'm talking about Pendleton records;) .

UK

Lesleyguest
15-05-2006, 5:03 PM
Hello again,

Ggrandma Alice Edith MORRIS, b. 1873c. married George William ELLIS, in the Salford Registry Office, Lancs. in 1898. Her father was listed as Frederick MORRIS, deceased, domestic gardener.

The marriage certificate lists only her middle name, Edith MORRIS (but it is definitely her).

This also leads me to think that she might be in other records as Edith Alice (or even some other mispelling of Edith, such as Ada Alice?), as the GRO have no record of an Alice Edith MORRIS born 1873c. anywhere!

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter. Regards, Lesley

uksearch
16-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Have a look at freebmd births. She is possibly there as Alice registered in Bridgenorth.

UK

Lesleyguest
16-05-2006, 4:20 PM
Hello,

There is an Alice MORRIS, born in Bridgenorth in June 1873 on Free BMD. Is it possible to find her with her family in the Bridgenorth parish records?

I'm not really sure if the PRs are accessible enough, or can be reasonably easily searched, for this to be done?

There is an Alice MORRIS born in Bridgenorth, working as a servant in Didsbury, Cheshire on the 1891, age 17. She might be my ggrandma Alice Edith MORRIS, who married fairly close by in Salford, Lancs. in 1898.

Thank you.

Regards, Lesley

Mr Gwynne Chadwick
17-05-2006, 8:00 PM
Hi Lesley,

Whilst at Shropshire Archives today, my wife checked the Bridgnorth Parish register for you.

The full information given is;

Alice, Christened 29 June 1873, dau of George & Emma MORRIS of Spital Street, Bridgnorth. Publican.

I can offer you family on the Bridgnorth 1871 census if required.

Hope it helps,

Gwynne Chadwick

Lesleyguest
18-05-2006, 4:33 AM
Hello Gwynne,

Thank you for Alice MORRIS's information from the parish records. Your wife was extremely helpful and I am very appreciative.

I would definitely be interested in any further information you have about Alice's parents, George and Emma MORRIS, on the 1871 census, as I'm still not sure who this family is on the 1881 census.

As an aside, do you know anything about Spital Street and the pub, George is listed as a Publican?

Thank you once again, regards, Lesley

Mr Gwynne Chadwick
20-05-2006, 4:17 PM
Hi Lesley,

Here is the family on the 1871 Bridgnorth census.

RG10/2743 1+ Enum. District 9. Folio 46B. Sch 84.
39 Hospital Street.

George MORRIS H Mar 34 - Agric Lab Holope? Herefordshire
Emma MORRIS W Mar - 35 - Stottesdon Shropshire
William MORRIS S - 6 - Scholar Quatt Shropshire
Sarah MORRIS D - - 3 - Quatt Shropshire
William WELSH Bdr Un 43 - Agric Lab Quatt Shropshire
John COOPER Bdr Un 28 - Agric Lab Abdon Shropshire

You ask;
"As an aside, do you know anything about Spital Street and the pub, George is listed as a Publican?"

Spital Street still exists today as Hospital Street. The Plough Inn (long gone) was in that Street but I don't know if that is where your MORRIS family were. A search of the Trade Directories may help you.

Hope it helps,
Gwynne Chadwick

Lesleyguest
21-05-2006, 6:04 AM
Hi,

Thank you for locating George, Emma, William and Sarah on the 1871, and their later daughter, Alice, in the 1873 PR.

Although there is a servant, Alice E. MORRIS, age 17, born in Bridgnorth on the 1891, in Didsbury, near Manchester, she doesn't seem to be on the 1881.

Is there any was to go about trying to track her down in Ireland from 1874c. to 1890c?

Lesley