PDA

View Full Version : Death certificate query

kallie66
05-05-2006, 9:58 PM
Hello
I am hoping someone can answer this for me as I cant seem to find any info on the internet which exactly answers this question. A friend of mine is just starting out on her family tree and has been told that her Gt Grandmother had news that her husband, who was in the Royal Navy in WW1, had been killed after his ship was sunk, and in desperation had jumped off Blackpool Pier and died. It turned out that her husband had not been killed after all and was one of the survivors. What we would like to know is, if the body was never recovered, would there have been a death certificate issued or is it a case of no body, no certificate? I have looked through the death index between 1914-1918 and there is one entry that is possible so I've told her to check it out just in case.
Regards Kallie

Peter Goodey
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
No body - no death registration - no certificate.

If the body was recovered and identified then the death could be registered. This might be quite some time later and of course might happen in a completely different place.

kallie66
06-05-2006, 3:10 PM
Many thanks for that Peter, I will pass this answer on. I think its going to be too big a search really if the entry I found isnt the one!
Regards
Kallie