PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Piecry

cattay
05-05-2006, 3:26 PM
HI can amy one help! Looking for maternal grandmothers family. Nellie Elizabeth Piercy belived to be born 1902 Betchley Eng. moved to Australia at some stage (soory no dates) with parnets William Piercy and Lillian Young. Sorry I have no idea on when parents born this is all the info I have on them. The only other info I have on grandma Lowire is, that she was born a Piercy and family believe she was born in Betchley Eng, She married my pop Alexander Lowrie 12 03 1932 in Melbourne Victoria Aust, my mum one of their children, Nellie died in 1946 so my mum was only 8 when Nellie died so I'd love to find info for my Mum plus I'm doing our family trees. I have no idea if Nellie had siblings Can any one help us? Thanks Cath

Geoffers
05-05-2006, 3:35 PM
Hello
Start from teh beginning and progress in stages. First thing you want, if you don't already have it, is the birth certificate of Nellie Elizabeth Piercy.

A system of indexed civil registration means it is fairly straightforward in loking for births, marriages and deaths (BMD) in England and Wales. The General Register Office (GRO) index of BMD is online. There's the freebmd project which is worth trying first http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl but this is incomplete. So you may also have to look at the complete index which can be found in a few places now, one of which is 1837online.

When you find the relevant entry, order a certificate through the GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

continued.....

Geoffers
05-05-2006, 3:38 PM
part 2....

You might also try searching the 1901 census http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
for her parents. If the information on her year of birth, she may even turn up as well.

Use the GRO index of marriages to try and find when Nellie's parents were married.

Start with that and see how you get on. If any of the above is as clear as mud, please ask and I'll try to clear things up.

Geoffers

cattay
05-05-2006, 4:06 PM
Hi thanks for that. I have looked on the free sites with no luck, the paid sites I can't do as I don't have a credit card, but it's ok. I belong to the NT genealogy soc, so will try to get there tomorrow and see if I can find anything on mircofilm/finch there . I have been searching the lowrie/lawrie side and thought I'd start the piercy side. I have also been told that Nellie born here in Aust so I guess I should start by finding out if she listed here for birth, if not then I'll know she born England. Also could you advise me of where Betchley Eng. is. Sorry I just don't know the counties over there. Just wish the family knew her background, but I guess because she died when her kids so young no one talked about her and she not had the chance to tell them sad really

Again thanks for your advise.

Cath :-)

Geoffers
05-05-2006, 7:43 PM
could you advise me of where Betchley Eng. is. Sorry I just don't know the counties over there.I am hoping you mean Bletchley 'cos I don't know of a Betchley and cannot locate such a place on any of my maps or gazetteers.

Bletchley is at the north end of Buckinghamshire. It used to be a separate town in its own right, but is now just a part of a planned new town called Milton Keynes.

If you get stuck as to locations in the UK, there are several online maps which can help. For example. www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) amongst others. You can zoom in and pull out to get the overal picture of where a place is.

Geoffers

Pam Downes
05-05-2006, 8:30 PM
Hi Cath
I've never seen an Australian BMD certificate but I understand that they contain a lot more information than English ones, so do you have Nellie's marriage and death certificates? They may contain vital information.
I don't know how reliable your information is regarding Nellie's parents, William Piercey and Lilian Young, but if you look on FreeBMD
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
in June quarter 1903 there's a marriage which might be of interest. If you click on the registration district of Newport P(agnell) and follow the links then you will see that BLetchley is in that registration district. (Never heard of Betchley, and www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) can't find it either!)
Nellie is often a pet name for Ellen, Helen, or Eleanor, so have a search on FreeBMD for those names for a birth, country-wide, in 1903.
You can search the GRO Index for free via ancestry dotco dotuk (daren't type it in case of repeating text) click on 'find yourself on Ancestry', but then make sure that you click on search the images, not the FreeBMD link. Search till at least 1915 for births in the same registration district as the 1903 one. The reason I say this is because in 1911/1912 (can't remember off the top of my head, and too lazy to find exact quarter) the mother's maiden name was given, so it may be a hint that it's the same family. It would also give a 'not before' date for a departure for Australia.
Pam
(as usual, Geoffers typed a bit quicker than me re Bletchley)

cattay
06-05-2006, 2:20 PM
Hi Oops sorry yes I meant Bletchley I have had a GREAT day today. I have found Nellie and her siblings they from newport pagnell. Parents are William Gearoge Piercy and Lillian Young. She has 5 brothers and sisters, although a Doris came up on same reference Number on ancestry.co.uk - England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
Doris Piercy
Year of Registration: 1904
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Newport Pagnell
County: Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 987 (click to see others on page)
This is the same as Nellie so maybe she was a twin..

Willian and Lillian (nee Young) were married June Qtr 1903 Newport Pagnell

I also found William's parents on his death entry here in Aust as George Piercy and Martha Edger. William died in Vic Aust in 1945 aged 63

Cheers Cath

Pam Downes
06-05-2006, 5:18 PM
I have found Nellie and her siblings they from newport pagnell. Parents are William Gearoge Piercy and Lillian Young. Hi Cath,
You have been a busy bunny. And I don't want to seem a wet blanket but.........
Do you mean that you have found a reference to them in Australian records which give the parents names alongside those of the children? Finding children with the same surname born in the same English registration district means absolutely nothing till you have the birth certificates which state the same parents names.
It's a good job that you searched the GRO Index, because the veiled hint I gave for a birth in 1903 was for an Ellen PiercEy which I found on FreeBMD. That extra letter makes all the difference :) (Make sure you give the correct GRO Index spellings when you order Nellie's birth certificate and her parents marriage certificate.)

She has 5 brothers and sisters, although a Doris came up on same reference Number on FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
Volume: 3a Page: 987
This is the same as Nellie so maybe she was a twin..Quite possibly. If Nellie is a twin her time of birth should be on her birth certificate.

I also found William's parents on his death entry here in Aust as George Piercy and Martha Edger. Remember that death certificates are worst of all for giving correct information. (Up to a few months ago if I'd had to say the birthplace of my cousin I would have said Lincolnshire but he was born in London.) I only say this because I'm having trouble finding a William Piercy/Piercey born 1882 +/- 2 years with parents George and Martha on the census.
Pam

cattay
07-05-2006, 4:46 AM
[/QUOTE]I only say this because I'm having trouble finding a William Piercy/Piercey born 1882 +/- 2 years with parents George and Martha on the census.
Pam[/QUOTE]

(Nellie Elizabeth is her correct name)

Hi Pam, the William Piercy that you are looking for may be my William. Nellie's Dad is William George Piercy. If the same I have William on the 1891 census with family in Rugby Warwickshire with parents George (bornSalford Lancashire (Manchester) and Martha (born Crewe in Cheshire), all children expect William born Rugby Warwickshire. William being born Crewe in Cheshire about 1882 (+/- 1yr). William married Lillian Young in Newport Pagnell (Bletchley) Buckinghamshire on 12 03 1932. In 1922 they and children sailed to Australia 1922 on the ship Jervis Bay arrivng NOV.

Names that I've been given for William siblings are Ernest,Ethel,Albert, Gladys,Winifred Mary,Lily May, Louise(a),Bertha,Cyril,Frances Maud Name also on the 1901 census excpet for William (but he may have left home by 1901 or just not home) seems only Ernest 1885, Ethel 1890, Albert 1893, Lily 1895, and Gladys 1900, (dates are aprrox birth years) were on the census also. Sorry just don't have the info at hand at the moment.

In the Australian records I got yesterday are on the Victoria deaths till 1985 CD all inforamtion I found has the Rego Number on them to be able to send for certif's. The ifomation found listes parents of the person that died. Williams had his parents as George Piercy and Martha Edgler. Have a older Aunt thst we found out has paper work that she will not let any one see, so my sister is getting our aunt's daughter to try and get her to let her look to see if she has anything. This may take weeks as they not living in the same town and this cousin doesn't drive so she has to get her hubbie to take her there, which could be ages. Wish I lived closer to them as I'd go see her my-self but I live 4,000KMS away. Plus she more then likely has nothing on the piercy side only the lowrie/lawrie side. Family you got to love them
Cath

Pam Downes
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Cath,
You'll be pleased to know that I've now found George, Martha, William and siblings on the 1891 census. I know how I missed him. I saw the name William on the page looked at his parents - Frederick and Jane. Unfortunately I forgot to check the age of William and his surname - I looked at the entry above William P where there is also a son William. (Don't think think we've got a smilie for 'dunce'. :) )
However you've got to join me in the corner for two minutes for writing "William married Lillian Young in Newport Pagnell (Bletchley) Buckinghamshire on 12 03 1932." |scold|
Pam

cattay
07-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Pam

Oops did I write some thing wrong (Bletchley) :-( I was coping things down at the time and didn't see that bit got in. Where does William fit in your family? I got to learn the cities and counties over there..

I'll go sit in the corner :-) but might fall asleep

Cath

Pam Downes
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Pam
Oops did I write some thing wrong (Bletchley) :-( Not Bletchley - the date!!!!!!!
William's nothing to do with me.
For help with English counties etc may I recommend
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/
www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk)

Pam

cattay
07-05-2006, 11:26 AM
oops think i better go back to my corner!!!! Sorry when I read earlier post "looking for a William Piercy" I thought you were looking also as part of your family.

Pam now that I read that message you wrote I feel like a right dope :-) Sorry I need to get on here when I've had more then 4 hours sleep :-) My sister told me last night when I called her that I'm spending to much time on here and should stop for a bit, but I can't help it. I get this bug and can't put it down.

Thanks for the links will have a look at them then I can have a fair idea where places are.

Cath

cattay
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Pam do you have the correct date? cath

Pam Downes
07-05-2006, 2:09 PM
Hi Cath,
For goodness' sake - go to bed. I speak as one who averages 4 hours or less of sleep a night and I can tell you that after about six months your health will be on a very steep downward slope. (Yeah, I know - I should practice what I preach.)
Meanwhile marriage dates:
From your very first message in the thread -

The only other info I have on grandma Lowire is, that she was born a Piercy and family believe she was born in Betchley Eng, She married my pop Alexander Lowrie 12 03 1932 in Melbourne Victoria Aust. William Piercey and Lilian Young married in June quarter 1903 Newport Pagnell registration district. You will need to send for the marriage certificate to get the exact date and place.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
if you have a piece of plastic or follow the 'ways to apply'
links at
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/obtainingmarriagecertificates/index.asp
The danger is that if you don't get your proper sleep you are going to start quoting rubbish like that 1932 marriage date for William and Lilian. If you give wrong us information then we can't help you.
So, once more - B E.D.
N.O.W.
Pam :D

cattay
07-05-2006, 3:11 PM
yes i know and thanks I did mean 1903 as that's what I have in info collected last couple of days. I'm off to bed now it's only 11.30pm so that's early for me. nite nite thanks again cath