PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ferguson

Kaneko
01-05-2006, 8:37 AM
Robert Ferguson was my great grandfather. I think he was born in rockcliffe, Cumberland. He was killed in the first world war. He was married to Francis Hutchinson and they had 3 daughters Francis Mary, Martha Mathilda and Doris Isobelle. Doris was my grandmother. Francis remarried a George (Geordie) Thompson from the Thursby area. They had 4 more girls Ena, Edna, Emily and Annie.I have been told Robert has his name on a war memorial at Cargo but as I live in Australia I cannot not confrim that. Does anyone know any more abour RObert ie. What regiment, where and how he was killed. Who was his family????
Thank you anything would be great.

get2BJ
01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Have you looked at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website? If you search on R Ferguson and select 1st World War there are 56 records. When you select the record, quite often family names are shown such as parent's or wife's details.

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

Best wishes

Brenda

get2BJ
01-05-2006, 1:52 PM
Hi again,

Their marriage record is indexed on FreeBMD:

Robert Ferguson & Frances Hutchinson
Marriages Jun Qtr 1911, Wigton District, Vol 10b, Page 1107

You can check this for yourself at http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you were to order a copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO you would be able to confirm the names of their fathers, father's occuapations and the bride and grooms age as recorded. That would cost you £7 quoting the details above (although I don't know what postal charges apply for sending it to Australia). http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/obtainingmarriagecertificates/certificatefees.asp

I'm going out now but I will look at the 1901 census details later if nobody else has done so when I return.

Regards

Brenda

Wirral
01-05-2006, 2:43 PM
Brenda beat me to it, with the freeBMD marriage. I've looked through the CWGC names, but can't find one who matches. A lot of the entries do not give an age or any relatives of the deceased. There is one who may be slightly more likely than the others: Robert Ferguson, Private, 27970 died 18/7/1917, Border Regiment, Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

1901 census RG13/4870 folio 108 page 7, Low Harker, Rockcliffe, Cumberland
Thomas Ferguson head M 58 Joiner, Cumberland Kirklinton
Margaret " wife M 54, Cumb. Kirklinton
Gavin " son S 29 Joiner, Cumb. Rockcliffe
John " son S 21, Cumb. Rockcliffe
Robert T. " son S 17 Clerk at Post Office, Cum. Rockcliffe
Ernest " son S 15, Cumb. Rockcliffe

The village of Cargo was part of the Civil Parish of Stanwix, the Ecclesiastical Parish of Rockcliffe, Rural District of Carlisle, Cumberland. Also spelt Craghow or Carguow.

Kaneko
03-06-2006, 8:03 AM
Thank you for looking up the war graves and the 1901 census. I have since found out by a mere fluke his parents wereJohn Ferguson 1855 born Aikton married to Martha Tiffin 1855 also born Aitken. They had 5 children 1. Jacj Ferguson c1880, Joseph Ferguson 1881-1970 went to Canada, Mary Ferguson c1886-1972 married a Kohn Robertshaw??, Robert ferguson c1886(my great grandfather), and Jerry Tiffin Ferguson 1892-1978 went to Petrolia, Canada. I have been in touch with his grandson who has given me the Canadian side but is also searching for the English side. Any suggestions where I search now??
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Suzanne

Kaneko
03-06-2006, 8:08 AM
Thank you so much, I am still working out how to do this posting!!! I saw that Robert in the war graves and I agree seems to be the one most likely but have no way of telling?? I have found a Canadian connection quite by chance and have been in touch with Roberts great nephew he has given me information of the Canadian family but does not know what happened to those left in England.

Kaneko
03-06-2006, 8:10 AM
Thank you Brenda and Wirral, I have sent for that marriage certificate and it should arrive soon.
Suzanne

get2BJ
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Suzanne

Here is the family on the 1901 Census:

All at Skelton Wood End, Skelton, Penrith
John Ferguson, head, m, 46, Farmer, Employer, Cumb Aitken
Martha, wife, m, 45, Farmer's Wife, Aitken
Joseph, son, s, 19, Farmer's Son, Worker, Aitken
Mary, daur, s, 15, Farmer's Daur, Worker, Aitken
John, son, 13, Schoolboy, Aitken
Robert, son, 10, Schoolboy, Thursby
Jerry T, son, 8, Schoolboy, Thursby

RG13/4856 Folio 121 Page 3. After their names the enumerator has written, 'End of township of Unthank (part of)'.

Brenda

get2BJ
03-06-2006, 1:02 PM
Me again!

With the above names and approximate ages you should be able to find the parent's marriage and all their birth registrations on FreeBMD. You could also check out the previous census years, tracing the parents back to childhood with their own parents. Ordering John and Martha's marriage certificate will give you their father's names.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/obtainingmarriagecertificates/certificatefees.asp

Good luck with your searching

Brenda