PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker V.11 - lost disc

Barbarella
29-04-2006, 9:19 PM
Please can anyone help me.

I have changed to a newer computer and cannot access some of my more recent family history files.The message on the screen indicates that the files were installed in a newer version than the one used in the new computer.I have all the paperwork but the actual disc for V 11 is missing.What shall I do,please ? I am a pensioner in Oxfordshire.

Ed Bradford
01-05-2006, 4:31 PM
Earlier this year Family Tree Maker was giving away FTM version 2005 for free at least here in the States. You might contact them and plead your case to see if that offer is available. You should be able to open an earlier version with version 2005. .............Ed

KenHolmes
01-05-2006, 4:57 PM
Ed,

Go to the Family Tree Maker web site where you should be able to down load the version you require. Then remember the golden rule to back up the programme and even better back up your computer. External hard disks have come down in price are are a good insurance if your computer breaks down and you cannot get it to work.

Ken Holmes

Ed Bradford
02-05-2006, 1:56 AM
Hey Ken,
You've provided good advice but I was responding to Barbarella who began this thread. I have all of my software and files backed up to a server which in turn is backed up to DVD and locked in a safe. .............Ed

KenHolmes
02-05-2006, 6:40 PM
Hi Ed,

Pleased to hear my advice was good, I bet Barbrella must have been confused.
I hope Barbarella is still reading the comments on her thread and if so she might have taken the appropriate action

Ken