PDA

View Full Version : Fairbrother, Stevenson,cross street

nancy b
28-04-2006, 8:08 PM
greetings from Canada,
we are currently researching our family tree,this limb starting with Abraham Fairbrother who married a Sarah Stevenson.Abraham was born in Castle Donnington, Leicestershire, in 1848. He and Sarah married and lived in Derbyshire where they had several kids, including my Gr grandfather Frank Fairbrother(born 1875).
Other children included elizabeth born 1873, hannah 1869, henry william 1877, john 1871, lydia 1879( She married into the Cragg family.) Sarah his wife was born in Sawley, Derbshire. He was listed as a coal merchant, though in his earlier years he was a waterman,(taxi driver on the canals.)
looking for relations of Frank's brothers and sisters, other Fairbrothers or Stevensons? Sarah was the daughter of Samuel and Hannah.
they alos lived on Cross Street in Long Eaton and I would love to see if I could find any old pictures of the area
thanks!
nancy B

Judy Exeter
14-04-2008, 1:07 PM
Hi,I have readyour message but I realise that this is an old message.They are on my tree. If you can leave a message on this thread I will give you more details.
JudyExeter

nancy b
17-09-2008, 5:18 PM
Hi there- finally got on site and found your message. Would be interested in finding out what you know.
If you could send me any information you can. Our family website should be up and running soon.
My email address is nvbennett AT shaw DOT ca

thanks
Nancy B

Judy Exeter
20-09-2008, 6:11 PM
Hi Nancy, As you can see your e.mail has been edited, is there a way you can send a private message so I can contact you?
I still live in Sawley and I have been tracing my Dad's family (Kilbourne).
I must admit I have not done much research recently as I have had a few problems. Do you also go on Genes Reunited, this is where I have most of my info from as well as Ancestry.co.uk. I will have a look tonight what I have regarding the Stevensons and Fairbrothers etc.
Bye for now,
Judy Exeter

Procat
21-09-2008, 2:32 AM
Hi Judy,

You can still send an email using that address.

Just substitute the @ symbol for the word AT and a . for the word DOT.

Penny Gallo
27-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Nancy!
There is a website called "www.picturethepast.org.uk" upon which I have just found two images of Cross Street, Long Eaton. Although the photos were taken in 1965, they show terraced houses, a police station and a factory all of which would probably have been familiar to your ancestors. I can't give you a direct link as you have to enter the site via clicking on a copyright agreement - but the images are:
DCER 000646 Cross Street - Waverley Street
DCER 000615 Cross Street and Police Station
If you do a search for "Cross Street", and "Long Eaton", inter alia it also brings up a wonderful photo listed as Boys' Brigade, which is possibly from the Weslyan Sunday School on Cross Street, circa 1910. I would just warn though that the site isn't 100% accurate as to information supplied with each photo (I found errors in transciptions for images I had supplied), and the dates can be a bit wavery. Still, it does contain a huge archive of photos and topographical drawings of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, so hopefully you will find other places as well. :)

Judy Exeter
28-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Procat, I have managed to get in touch with Nancy now.

Judy Exeter
28-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Penny, I have just read your message about Cross street. The Long Eaton and Sawley Archive has got lots of pictures of Sawley and Long Eaton, it is also very informative also. I have contacted Nancy about this and hope it can be of use to other members. Regards Judy

ady.clair
19-07-2009, 3:08 PM
I am from the same line of Fairbrothers from Donington/Sawley area.

Herbert Fairbrother born 1857 at Sawley was Abrahams brother.

Would like to exchange any info.

Clair