PDA

View Full Version : 'The Cape of Good Hope', Long Itchington

geoffpowers
28-04-2006, 2:05 PM
I have a relative who is recorded in the late 19C Censuses as being the licencee of the above inn/tavern/pub.

I have looked on the Long Itchington village web site in the hope of finding an appropriate photo, but there are no clues there as to whether this building still exists, either as a pub or as a private dwelling.

I would be grateful if anyone who knows the locality could provide relevant information.

Geoff Powers

sarahmuller
13-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Geoff,
I came across a pub called the Cape of Good Hope but it's in Warwick not in Long Itchington. (Still in Warwickshire though) Maybe the people their know if there was another pub with the same name. Theirs was built in the 1800s. They have a website which gives all their details. Hope it helps.
Sarah

kdorey
17-06-2006, 5:16 PM
Hi Geoff,
I came across a pub called the Cape of Good Hope but it's in Warwick not in Long Itchington. (Still in Warwickshire though) Maybe the people their know if there was another pub with the same name. Theirs was built in the 1800s. They have a website which gives all their details. Hope it helps.
Sarah

The Cape Of Good Hope noted by Sarah is not the one that was in Long Itchington.

I have had a look at some Kelly's directories in Warwick local studies library and found that the Cape of Good Hope was not situated in the village of Long Itchington but only in the Long Itchington parish. It was actually situated in the hamlet of Bascote Heath which is about 1.5 miles south-west of the village of Long Itchington.

This is as per the 1901 census entry for the pub which is in Bascote Heath on schedule 43 of RG13/2948/112 page 8.

I drove through it on the way home but no sign of anything that would have been a public house at that time. In fact there are only a few houses and a pub which appears to be a more recent prefabricated timber type construction. Though it could have been set back off the road behind the hedges somewhere.

Hope this is of use.

Keith

geoffpowers
23-08-2006, 3:22 PM
Keith

Thanks very much for this information, and apologies for having been a bit sluggish in replying. I haven't really checked back on my various postings her for about 3 months. (We've had the builders in.and you can guess what that's been like!).

We were in the area at the beginning of July, but ,like you did, not find a recognisable building. I am fairly certain that this pub was associated with the Grand Union Canal, so it could possibly have been converted to a private dwelling or possibly demolished.

Cheers!

Geoff

Linnet
23-08-2006, 4:18 PM
Hi
If you look at an old map dated 1889/1890 for Bascote the pub is shown opposite Long Itchington Wood just down the road from another pub The Fox & Hens. You can also view a modern map of the area which might give you some idea.

Regards

Linnet

geoffpowers
01-06-2007, 6:29 PM
Hi!

Thanks for this bit of additional info, which I'll note on my laptop for my next visit to the area. I see the 'Old Maps' site is 'under repair' at the moment, but I don't think it will be a problem not to have the exact location in front of me.

.....and, once again, many apols. for my being slow to respond.

Regards

Geoff

waspexile
05-06-2007, 8:30 PM
I'm a bit of a canal holiday nut and have been to er...all the pubs in Long Itchington in one night a couple of years ago.
As I am sure you know a lot of pubs near canals were a bit here-today-gone tomorrow, according to trade.

From what I can remember about L.I it would seem to be the sort of place that would have a local history society, I'm being lazy and havent checked this but hopefully might be a website.

David