PDA

View Full Version : How to find an ancestor in the military

cleder
26-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi there, this is my first post, so please be gentle with me. I have a conundrum in trying to find my gt gt grandfather Nathaniel Millett. I know he was born in 1823 in Leicestershire, however, he disappeared for approx 15 years. I think he may have been in the army.He doesn't appear on the 1841 or 1851 census. He appears in Ireland(Galway) in 1852 on the baptism register of his daughter, his wife is Irish from Galway (although we have yet to find the marriage), as far as I know the family have no Irish connections. From there he went to Canada where 5 other children were born (my gt Grandfather was born in Quebec). He seems to have returned to England (Derbyshire)in the mid 1860's from the baptism records of other children.
How can I find out if indeed he was in the army? did they have local regiments i.e. one for Leicestershire? or would he be posted to any regiment in the country? Was the army in Ireland (Galway) in the 1840's? which could explain the Irish connection, if so which regiments? Family folklore says that he fought in the Crimea (taking his wife with him) with the Royal Canadian Rifles, also that he was a quartermaster sargeant, although I have my doubts about the story. I have looked and could not find any evidence of such a regiment. I have tried to access the National Archives but with little success. Has anybody any ideas how I would go about finding which regiment he was in, any suggestions will be most welcome as I am beginning to think this man was a myth or the Scarlet Pimpernel!

Geoffers
27-04-2006, 8:47 AM
Army records up to 1854-ish are indexed on TNA's catalogue
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
enter a name (you'll need to try variant spellings) in the name or phrase field, in the last field, 'department or series code' enter WO97.

If he was in the army and married/had children whilst serving you may find an entry (and be able to order certificates) in either the

Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924
or
Army Chaplains' returns of Births and Marriages 1796-1880

Both indexes are online - use 1837 online.

If you can locate a an entry in one of these indexes, the relevant certificate should include his regiment which will make locating a service record much eaesier for this period.

Were other children with him in the 1861 census? Their birthplaces may indicate postings in the army.
Geoffers

Geoffers
27-04-2006, 8:51 AM
Further to the above, on TNA's catalogue there is a Thomas MILLETT born Leics who is of an age that he may be your chap's dad. It may also be worth searching the army indexes mentioned to see if your Nathaniel's birth is registered??

Geoffers

keith9351
27-04-2006, 9:02 AM
Just to add to Geoffers reply, this link will give you some information on the Royal Canadian Rifles

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/na-canada/inf/840rcrr.htm

Keith

cleder
27-04-2006, 11:05 AM
First of all a big Thank You for getting back to me so quickly! I'm off now to check the links you have both supplied and will let you know.

cleder
27-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Thank you Geoffers and Keith for your replies :) I followed your links and advice which were invaluable. Within 12 hours of your responses I have managed to track down 2 of Nathaniels children both born in Canada on the 1837 online website, however we are still 2 children missing one of them being my greatgrandfather which is a shame. I intend to send off for the certificates, is it the National Records Office? On the index it states the 100th, would that be the 100th Foot Regiment? and does anybody know if they were affilliated with the Royal Canadian Rifles?

Geoffers we can't find him on the 1861 census, he appears to be in Canada at that time, however, on the 1871 census for England following his discharge its says 4 of his children were born in Canada and his first child in Loughrea, Galway. I still haven't found his marriage, am I right to presume he would need permission to marry from his commanding officer? and if so would that be in his records? also would he be able to marry outside of the barracks if he was stationed in Ireland? He must have spent a lot of his career out of the country as he is missing on the 1841,51 and 61 censuses.
This is such a breakthrough for my sister and I! we have been searching for him for a long time with little success.
Thanks again for your help!

Cleder

Geoffers
28-04-2006, 8:19 AM
Within 12 hours of your responses I have managed to track down 2 of Nathaniels children both born in Canada on the 1837online website, however we are still 2 children missing one of them being my greatgrandfather which is a shame.
Have you searched both the main index and the supplement to regimental registers? Where was your gt-grandfather born?

I intend to send off for the certificates, is it the National Records Office?
No, the GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
There's a link through from 1837online, it's under 'ordering certificates' near the top of the screeen.

continued......

Geoffers
28-04-2006, 8:20 AM
part 2...

On the index it states the 100th, would that be the 100th Foot Regiment?Yes, the regiments web-site link given will tell you about the different regiments - possibly this one?
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/100-858.htm

I still haven't found his marriage, am I right to presume he would need permission to marry from his commanding officer? and if so would that be in his records?His marriage would probably be in his service record. However, not all marriages are in the Army Chaplains Returns. There are also marriages in the Regimental Registers - BUT - these are not indexed. You need to know a regiment and apply to the FRC in London for a search to be made. (AT least you used to do that when the records were at St.Catherine's House, I am assuming that a similar system still exists since they moved).

also would he be able to marry outside of the barracks if he was stationed in Ireland?Ireland I don't know. But in indexing English Parish Registers I have come across many soldiers (regular and militia) who married in the local parish church.

Geoffers

cleder
28-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks again Geoffers for the quick reply! I hadn't realised that there was a supplement to the registers, I have since checked them but to no avail! My gtgrandfather (William Millett) was born somewhere in Quebec. On 1 census it says Quebec, another says West Chambley and on his marriage certificate Montreal, so I'm not quite sure! When troops are posted abroad and they have children, are they required to register the birth in the country they are born in? As far as his marriage is concerned we have ordered the microfilm for Loughrea from the LDS in the hope that we will find something there.
The 100th foot is affilliated with The Royal Canadian Rifles from the link you gave, he must have joined them towards the end of his career in the army. It would be interesting to find out where and with whom he spent most of his army career, but I guess we will never find out. I am hoping to get to Kew in a couple of weeks to look at TNA so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go.

Cleder

Geoffers
29-04-2006, 4:09 PM
My gtgrandfather (William Millett) was born somewhere in Quebec. On 1 census it says Quebec, another says West Chambley and on his marriage certificate Montreal, so I'm not quite sure! When troops are posted abroad and they have children, are they required to register the birth in the country they are born in?I don't think so, but that's not to say that the births weren't registred in countries where there was such a system. The indexes to which I've referred are those created and maintained by the army.

I am hoping to get to Kew in a couple of weeks to look at TNA so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go.I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Without a regiment you'd be looking for a pin in a haystack. This way you do stand a chance. Make sure that you go prepared, with specific targets and also browse through the research guides on TNA's web-site

Geoffers

cleder
30-04-2006, 4:43 PM
Thanks again for your reply Geoffers, also all the advice you have given me :) will bear it in mind if i get to TNA. I've never been there before and feel a little daunted. Will keep you informed! unless I have anymore questions before i go :)

Cleder

Geoffers
30-04-2006, 8:14 PM
I've never been there before and feel a little daunted. Will
As I mentioned, go prepared - Have a series of targets which you want to try and find out. Ask for help (the people there get paid to answer questions so don't feel bashful).

Begin by looking for and ordering the main document that you want. Whilst waiting for its arrival, spend time looking around and getting to know where everything is. If a place feels familiar, it is less intimidating.

Lastly, keep your fingers crossed

Geoffers

cleder
19-05-2006, 9:42 PM
Geoffers, just wanted to let you know that I went to TNA, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be, the time just flew by! I followed your advice and Eureka! I found some of what I was looking for. What I actually found were his discharge papers and his Chelsea Pension Number. He was discharged after 25 years service with a pension from the "Royal Canadian Rifles" he was originally in the 17th foot regiment Leicestershire but transferred to the rifles after 18 years service with them. I found out he went to "The Crimea at Redan" with the 17th he also served in Aden and India as well as North America and Ireland where he probably met his wife.
Geoffers, now I have some more questions to ask please, do you know if it would be possible to find his Army record?...would it be with the 17th or the RCR? if so, if we wrote to them would they let us see the record? so that we may find his marriage. One interesting thing came out of my visit, I found out that he was court martialed for something and was demoted from sergeant to private, does anybody keep records of court martials?......just being nosy but I would like to know what he did! He was eventually returned to a sergeant in the RCR. Once again thanks for all your help and advice :)
Cleder

Geoffers
20-05-2006, 8:27 PM
I have some more questions to ask please, do you know if it would be possible to find his Army record?
What you appear to have found are the records that survive of his army career. What you might also look for at TNA are the muster books and pay lists. Also look for his pension record. There are research guides to assist on TNA's web-site

continued....

Geoffers
20-05-2006, 8:28 PM
part 2....

so that we may find his marriage.
If his marriage isn't included in the records you have found, have you also tried the indexed Army Chaplains' returns of marriages 1796-1880? If not there, try applying to the FRC in London for a search of the Index to Regimental Registers of marriages. There used to be a system for doing this when records where held at St.Catherine's House - I would assume that something similar exist since their transfer to the FRC.

If still no luck with a marriage, look for the birthplace of the eldest known child and try searching any church records for that place.

If still no luck, you're stuck

continued...

Geoffers
20-05-2006, 8:29 PM
part 3....

I found out that he was court martialed for something and was demoted from sergeant to private, does anybody keep records of court martials?
See this research guide on TNA's web-site

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=28

Geoffers

cleder
21-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks for replying Geoffers :) I'll get back onto TNA's website and do some more searching. I will probably get in touch with the FRC and ask them to do a search, I have checked the local parish records in Ireland but didn't find anything. Will carry on searching though, this man has intruiged me for so long that I'm not going to give up now.
Cleder

chinakay
05-06-2006, 2:56 AM
Chambly (the spelling has changed) is a town just outside Montreal. He could easily have been posted to Chambly and married in the big city.

China

cleder
11-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Thank you China for your reply, we hadn't realised they had changed the spelling.Do you know if there are any records online that we could check?

debbie hughes
16-07-2006, 8:33 PM
i am trying to find info on my late father who served in ww2 in medical core no luck so far can you help?

jmduke
27-06-2008, 6:02 PM
Thank you China for your reply, we hadn't realised they had changed the spelling.Do you know if there are any records online that we could check?

Your GGGF's story is similar to that of my own GGF William Duke - Colour Sgt in the 17th Foot, service in Ireland, Crimea and Canada, transferred to RCR, reduced in rank to private (for drunkeness). There is a good source of Quebec BMD records accessible at our public library. If you are still seeking information about your GGF Millett, I would be pleased to look him up on my next visit. Let me know. Also, Chambly was the site of a fort, built originally by the French and used from time to time by British forces until about 1860. It is now a national historic site (http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/qc/fortchambly/natcul/natcul2e_E.asp)
JMD

v.wells
27-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks again Geoffers for the quick reply! I hadn't realised that there was a supplement to the registers, I have since checked them but to no avail! My gtgrandfather (William Millett) was born somewhere in Quebec. On 1 census it says Quebec, another says West Chambley and on his marriage certificate Montreal, so I'm not quite sure! When troops are posted abroad and they have children, are they required to register the birth in the country they are born in? As far as his marriage is concerned we have ordered the microfilm for Loughrea from the LDS in the hope that we will find something there.
The 100th foot is affilliated with The Royal Canadian Rifles from the link you gave, he must have joined them towards the end of his career in the army. It would be interesting to find out where and with whom he spent most of his army career, but I guess we will never find out. I am hoping to get to Kew in a couple of weeks to look at TNA so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go.

Cleder

West Chambley is close to Montreal, in the province of Quebec. I will look up in the Druin collection as I have a sub to A*.ca (after dinner)
I had a chance to look but there seem to be a few Millets born in various parts of Quebec, the earliest being 1877. If you could supply names of father, wife and children and approx. ages it might help to know exactly who to look for.