PDA

View Full Version : Cockerell/Cockrell/Cockrill

Karen Newman
25-04-2006, 6:30 PM
I am trying to trace the family of ROBERT COCKERELL bc1775 in Hartfield Sussex. (according to 1851 census, but not on the IGI).

On the 1851 census, he is living in FRANT with his wife Elizabeth (unknown) bc1769 in CHIDDINGSTONE, KENT. With them is grand-daughter ELIZABETH GOWER but I am not sure she is the GOWER I am searching for.

On the 1841 census, he appears to be married to a Harriet but I am not sure he is the same person (given the limited info on the 1841).

I would like to trace his marriage and any children. I have tried the IGI without success.

He may have had a daughter who married a GOWER, hence the grand-daughter. OR if he WAS married to Harriet, did she die and he remarried to Elizabeth and the grand-daughter is hers by a previous marriage?

If anyone out there has COCKERILLs in their family, I would very like to hear from them! Thanks!

Jane M
27-04-2006, 4:24 PM
Hi Karen,

The 1841 has Robert COSKRELL 65 lab & looks like Not born county.
Harriet 74 ditto
Frant being on the Sussex/Kent border appears to have enjoyed life in Kent from 1837-1895 & then in Sussex. Very confusing!

1851 finds at Frant Rd, Frant,
Robert COCKRELL 76 formerly blacksmith b. Hartfield, Ssx
Elizabeth 82 b. Chiddingstone, Kent
Elizabeth Gower 17 g/dau nurse b. Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

I have a feeling the two Roberts are not the same people because of the spelling but more so because of his occupation. 1841 has him as lab & 1851 as blacksmith. I don't think he became a blacksmith after the age of 65, this was usually a life-long profession.
I went backwards & forwards between the 2 censuses trying to find each separate family with no luck.

Jane

Karen Newman
28-04-2006, 2:59 PM
Thanks Jane. I too am not convinced that they are the same person. I think the COSKRELL is due to poor writing on the census form, but I have not yet found a death for Harriet so it makes remarriage unlikely but not impossible!

I am trying to trace the GOWER line but I am not sure that this Elizabeth is mine. I have started searching through Tunbridge Wells church records but there are many. I thought I might approach it from a different angle.