PDA

View Full Version : Tracing the ownership of a house

swiggin74
23-04-2006, 6:22 PM
I have found a house which, according to family stories was passed down through generations of the Baugh family from the Little Sutton area. The house/cottage is on the main road between Little Sutton and Childer Thornton and it has a plaque on it which gives a date of 1746 and two sets of initials MB and RB. I have the wills of some of my ancestors and the Baugh family owned a number of cottages in the village of Little Sutton. Whether this cottage was definitely named in the wills is hard to tell as the cottage does not have a name.

I would like to know if there is any way in which I can trace who built this cottage and/or who owned it in the 1800s.

i look forward to any suggestions that you could give me.

Wirral
23-04-2006, 9:22 PM
The Tithe maps may show who owned the land. Try contacting Birkenhead Library (Reference section) on 0151 652 6106. They should know what records are held for Little Sutton & where they are. They may be available at a local library or you may need to go to Chester Archives which is the County library for Cheshire.If the records are at Birkenhead I can have a look on the way back from the gym (well, I do need some sort of incentive to make me go there!).

swiggin74
24-04-2006, 7:55 AM
Thanks very much for the info. I will try and ring the library this evening and find out. I can then let you know.

swiggin74
24-04-2006, 6:16 PM
Hello Wirral,

I have just spoke to the reference section at Birkenhead library and they said that they do have a tithe map for Little Sutton. If you could check it out for me that would be great. What sort of info would you need? I've never looked at tithe maps so I don't really know what they are!

Thanks again
Sam.

Peter Goodey
24-04-2006, 7:20 PM
If no joy from that, you might be interested in reading "Tracing the History of your House" by Nick Barratt - should be able to get it through your local library (might have to order it)

swiggin74
24-04-2006, 8:13 PM
Yes, thanks Peter, I have seen this advertised, I'll give it a go.

Wirral
02-05-2006, 8:11 PM
Hi Sam

I've sent the info as an email.