PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Records under control

June
29-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I suppose this is the correct place to discuss the subject of the best way to keep records in some kind of order. Like most researchers I find myself rummaging through piles of notes and bits of paper, looking for something I know I made a note of. (Oops! ended with a preposition.<grin>).
Inevitably some member of the family will iinherit the family tree and hopefully continue to research it.....but how can you hand over a box of scribbled messages? Please...any advice on this topic.
June

Guy Etchells
29-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I believe this was mentioned in the Storing Information thread on the One Place Forum.

However I would say don't bother ;) leave it all mixed up and let your decendents do some work..

If you want to read the thread just type storing information into the search box or browse the One Place Forum.
Cheers
Guy

June
30-10-2004, 6:24 AM
Thanks for the advice Guy <although I think my sons would probably dump the whole thing <grin>) daughter however is more interested. Anyway it was rather the storage of hard copy that I was concerned with....
Just recently I messed up my Family Tree File, and realised how important hard copy records are. If your computer blows its top, then all the databases in the world are of little assistance....(obviously I am not a computer nerd...)
Thanks anyway,
June

Guy Etchells
30-10-2004, 9:13 AM
My mistake June, I had thought that was the thread that discussed hard copy records, I know it was discussed somewhere.:(
I still use a database to organise my hard copy but the database instead of containing the records points to the location of records, in the same way as a carmessage=My mistake June, I had thought that was the thread that discussed hard copy records, I know it was discussed somewhere.:(
I still use a database to organise my hard copy but the database instead of containing the records points to the location of records, in the same way as a card index.
The database indexes and gives brief detail of the records contained in stored box files.
Others use a card index system.
Cheers
Guy

Barbara Griffiths
30-10-2004, 10:48 AM
My mistake June, I had thought that was the thread that discussed hard copy records, I know it was discussed somewhere.:(
Perhaps it was the thread on this forum you were thinking of, Guy? ("deja vous")

The one suggestion I did make on there, June, was similar to Guy's - keep some form of listing of where you put things. That way it doesn't matter what order things are filed in, you always have a record that enables you to find them.

Personally, I have frequently found myself "buried" under paperwork (created when I sidetrack on a new source or lead, print lots of information which I don't get around to sorting, typing up and filing, before I return to what I "should" be working on). I am now gradually sorting it all out into a system - but it has taken me 7 years of researching to have any idea of what system will work for me!

</P>

So I'd suggest giving yourself time to think about that and, for now, just create a simple listing of what you have and remember to keep adding to it as you acquire/produce new work (that's the difficult bit!). </P>

Barbara</P>

Geoffers
30-10-2004, 4:22 PM
Like most researchers I find myself rummaging through piles of notes and bits of paper, looking for something I know I made a note of. (Oops! ended with a preposition.<grin>). Inevitably some member of the family will iinherit the family tree and hopefully continue to research it.....but how can you hand over a box of scribbled messages? Please...any advice on this topic.
June
I keep a simple A4 exercise book for notes. Each message or note is dated. The book has a margin and I just write a short note in that if there is a connection with another message elsewhere; or if I have obtained some document as a result of writing the note. The book stays nex to my desk, on the top of my pile of papers which is of sufficient height to eclipse the sun for most of the day at this time of year.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire