PDA

View Full Version : Hms St Vincent

honeydew
20-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi iam trying to find out any info about this ship as i believe a man name stanbridge served on it and was in the navy not sure when but was WW2 does anyone know how i can get his records ?????? he is a close relative
many thanks

peter nicholl
20-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Honeydew

HMS St Vincent was a RN Shore Establishment at Gosport opposite Portsmouth. It was a "stone frigate". During WWII it was a Torpedo Training School. Try Googling "HMS St Vincent Association".
Peter

honeydew
20-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi peter i have looked there i was looking for ways i can get info on this person as where he served and any records there are on him

thank you for your reply

Geoffers
20-04-2006, 12:43 PM
does anyone know how i can get his records ?????? he is a close relative
many thanks
It's been a while since I needed to apply for a copy of such a recent record, but the last time I did the record was available to the person concerned or to his direct descendnet, or an agent acting with written consent of the descendent.

This URL has details
http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_recs/service_recs.htm
and an application form may be downloaded.
This link has the address to send it
http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_recs/service%20_recs_rn.htm

If your chap was an officer, you will find that searching The Navy List is probably the quickest way of tracing his service.

Geoffers

honeydew
20-04-2006, 1:06 PM
hi thank you for replying so quickly where would i find this navy list where his records might be ?

Geoffers
20-04-2006, 4:13 PM
hi thank you for replying so quickly where would i find this navy list where his records might be ?
The Navy List records names of personnel, their rank, seniority, posting. But if you follow through several editions you get to follow a career quite quickly and easily. The Navy List is published regularly and differnet libraries hold runs of it - some more complete than others. The National Archives and I the RN museum at Pompey hold lots of copies. Many Large reference libraries around teh country hold incomplete runs of the List.

Geoffers

honeydew
20-04-2006, 6:47 PM
hi geoffers
is it possible for me to find it online as its very hard for me to get out and about

Geoffers
21-04-2006, 8:34 AM
is it possible for me to find it online as its very hard for me to get out and about
The Navy List is not available online. Some copies from the 19th century can be purchased on CD-rom from S+N Genealogy. No copies from the mid-20th century are available online or on CD-rom.

Geoffers

honeydew
21-04-2006, 9:26 AM
ty for answering my questions i have now got in touch with national archives and they have said i can fil in a form and pay 30.00 and they will send me the service history

thanks for all your help