PDA

View Full Version : Herrison/Hennison Hospital, Charminster

pollymusic
20-04-2006, 10:33 AM
I have just received a death certificate and the death was at the Herrison or Hennison Hospital, Charminster.

I have looked at various maps and on BT but can find no record of this hospital. The certificate was issued in October 1970, so it is probably no longer open.

Does anyone know where this hospital was? Any help would be most welcome

Regards

Pauline

Peter Goodey
20-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Present name
Herrison Hospital

Previous name(s)
Dorset County Lunatic Asylum (1832 - 1919)
Dorset County Mental Hospital (1920 - c.1940)

Address
Herrison Dorchester DT2 9RL

Foundation Year

Records at Dorset Record Office

Also the Society of Genealogists has Charminster Herrison Hospital MIs

Peter Goodey
20-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Pictures: http://www.institutions.org.uk/pictures/asylums/dorset_asylum.htm

pollymusic
20-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you so much Peter, I thought someone on the site would have the answer, just didn't expect it to be so quick and with a link to photos.

Brilliant!

Regards

Pauline

Peter Goodey
20-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Have you noticed the special rule? To take a photo of a grim institution, always choose a dull day! ;)

Lady Karen
17-09-2006, 9:12 AM
Hello,

did you have muck luck in your search about Herrison? Do you know wher your relative was buried? My Nan died at Herrison at the age of 40 in 1962 and we have been trying to locate her grave. We were initially told that she was buried within the grounds of the hospital near the chapel (which has now been developed and there is a car park over some of the graves) but then found out that she is in actual fact in a proper cemetery in a near by village. If you need anymore help in searching or need a nudge in the right direction, let me know as we have loads of info....

Ka

pollymusic
17-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your reply. The replies I had are all above. This told me all I had asked for and was a big help.

I have found in the past, that knowing where a person died, and finding where they are buried/cremated are two very different things. If in a village, then usually no problem, but a big town or city with load of possible sites can be almost impossible, unless you live near and can visit all the grave places available.

The person who died at Herrison Hospital was Henry Charles NEWLYN. He died on the 12th October 1970 at the age of 89. I have no idea if there is a marker or even a grave. If this rings a bell, then great.

Regards

Pauline

freebird
23-07-2007, 5:45 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined
I have just come across this forum. I live at Herrison. There are still some gravestones in the grounds near the chapel. I will go down there one day and see if I can find Henry NEWLYN's stone. The gravestones have been moved several times over the years, most recently because the chapel is now a health club, and they wanted to put drains where the stones stood. The stones are now erected near the boundary wall.

Peter Goodey
23-07-2007, 6:46 PM
Dorset Monumental Inscriptions Vol 12 (Herrison Hospital Chapel)
Published by Somerset & Dorset FHS

pollymusic
23-07-2007, 8:07 PM
Thanks Freebird...that would be great.

Peter, I take it that this is a new publication. I will see if I can obtain a copy.

Pauline

Peter Goodey
23-07-2007, 9:25 PM
Peter, I take it that this is a new publication.
Don't think so. There's a copy in the SoG library. Try the Somerset & Dorset FHS. I don't know where you are geographically. Bet Dorset CRO have a copy.

If you have trouble locating a copy, don't forget inter-library loans.

pollymusic
24-07-2007, 7:14 AM
I am in Bucks. The inter library loan sounds the best bet. Thanks again

Pauline

Maggie Smith
21-02-2008, 9:29 AM
Hello Everyone

I'm new to this site and have been reading the interesting posts about Herrison Hospital.

I have a relative who died in Herrison Hospital in this hospital on the 2nd March 1978. I have a copy of her death certificate which gives her usual address also as Herrison Hospital. She was a widow and I think she was living alone.

Does anyone have any idea where she may have been buried, if, as I suspect, the hospital arranged the buriel.

Many thanks - Maggie

Peter Goodey
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
...the hospital arranged the burial.

Disposal of a body is the duty of the executor or administrator. If there really was nobody to do it (in practice we're probably talking about anyone with a claim on her assets), the responsibility would fall to the local authority. These are the people you should contact.

fordington
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello,

did you have muck luck in your search about Herrison? Do you know wher your relative was buried? My Nan died at Herrison at the age of 40 in 1962 and we have been trying to locate her grave. We were initially told that she was buried within the grounds of the hospital near the chapel (which has now been developed and there is a car park over some of the graves) but then found out that she is in actual fact in a proper cemetery in a near by village. If you need anymore help in searching or need a nudge in the right direction, let me know as we have loads of info....

Ka
Hello, I am trying to locate a family members grave at herrison, so any info you have would be much appreciated. thanks. Lyn.

alan.h
31-01-2013, 7:48 PM
I have stumbled across this thread by doing a search for the hospital name. I appreciate that it is some years now since anything was added but I wonder if anyone can help me, please?

I have been trying to find out what happened to a relative from Hampshire, following the deaths of first her siblings and then her parents. I certainly wasn't expecting to locate her in Herrison Hospital in 1871 and even less to then find that she also died there on 3 June 1873, when she was just 24.

I'd be interested to find out where she was buried. Since she was the last surviving member of her family I'd assume that she had a pauper's burial but I simply don't know where this would have been. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

pollymusic
01-02-2013, 9:13 AM
Hi Alan

Sorry, I can't help you. It was my cousin who died at Herrison Hoepital in 1970 but I have been unable to find where he is buried.

Good hunting

Pauline