PDA

View Full Version : Finding info in England

Lindseyjane
19-04-2006, 10:27 AM
He
My husband, mother and I are going to England in May for 6 weeks to do family research and meet "new" relatives I have found on Genes Reunited while doing a family tree. We don't know how to go about doing research - is it something we need to make bookings to do? where is the best place to go?
I know we can get certificates from different counties, according to where events took place but is there a central place we can go to find dates etc? is it difficult?

Lindsey

Peter Goodey
19-04-2006, 12:33 PM
The people who have most success on research trips are people who have done some research from afar, have come up against limitations of remote work and already know what they want to research in person and where to do it.

You're really asking to master a beginners' guide to British genealogy and grasp enough about techniques and sources to be able to draw up a research plan all within a matter of weeks.

This is a tall order.

You had better start reading here - http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/
Follow up the all the links and note the reading list - get some books from your library (eg Ancestral Trails).

If you tell us periods and areas, we'll be able to provide specific advice.

For BMD certificates, you should really have all that you need before you set off. Otherwise you're just going to waste time when you're here and introduce all sorts of practical problems (eg are you going to have a permanent address for 6 weeks?).

Unfortunately, time is very tight to do all that.

Geoffers
19-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Everything Peter wrote plus:

Could you give an example of where you have got to and what you want/hope to locate. It's easier to give specific advice. Have you got to your grandparents, their parents, what dates, what part of the country?

Geoffers