PDA

View Full Version : Parish Church,

pepsi1061
18-04-2006, 11:36 PM
How can I find out the name of a church when the license states the ceremony was held at the Parish Church. Would there be only one parish church in the parish?
Did most of the parishes have their own cementary?
Thanks
Please email me at [email protected]

Guy Etchells
19-04-2006, 7:47 AM
Yes, a parish was the area covered by a particular church, if it was a large parish or if there was some physical obstruction (river, cliff etc) there may also be a chapel of ease within the parish.
Most parish churches had their own churchyard where parishioners were buried up until the late 19th century when cemeteries began to appear.

Possibly the easiest method to find the name of the parish church is to check a trade directory .
Cheers
Guy

Peter Goodey
19-04-2006, 8:06 AM
"How can I find out the name of a church when the license states the ceremony was held at the Parish Church."

I suspect you mean certificate not licence.

I don't think there's a single method that always works but full marks for asking "how" and not just expecting the answer to be served up.

Try in no particular order but Google first -
Google
Parish website
Diocesan website
Tourist website
County record office eg catalogue
Local family history society
census returns
Family History Library
I've omitted printed sources.

"Would there be only one parish church in the parish?"

Yes. Large parishes might also have chapelries which were subordinate to the parish church. NB in this context a parish church is always Church of England.

"Did most of the parishes have their own cementary?"

Cemetery. Early days, yes (church graveyard). More recent times, no or not used any more.

"Please email me at [email protected] ([email protected])"

Not the way it works. This is a public forum

pepsi1061
19-04-2006, 3:33 PM
Thanks, but I'm still in the dark. I have a certified copy of an entry of marriage and all it says is 1867 Marriage solemnized at Parish Church in the Parish of Tipton in the County of Stafford.
How do I know what church or at that time was it only the church of England?

Peter Goodey
19-04-2006, 4:03 PM
"Thanks, but I'm still in the dark"
Well, have you tried any of those methods I suggested?

I just Googled and found:

"The parish church of Tipton is St John the Evangelist. See
http://www.lichfield.anglican.org/walsall/wednes/stjohn/index.htm (http://www.lichfield.anglican.org/walsall/wednes/stjohn/index.htm)

The oldest part of the todays building is the tower which was substantially rebuilt in the 17th Century.

The Church was abandoned in the 18th Century and was allowed to fall into serious disrepair. A new St. Martins was built a mile away. In 1853, a squat, brick nave was built onto the tower, at a cost of 244, and the church reopened under the patronage of St. John the Evangelist. Subsidence due to mining led to the Church's closure for several years at the beginning of this century."

I can't vouch for accuracy. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can comment.

pepsi1061
19-04-2006, 5:47 PM
Thanks for all the help