PDA

View Full Version : I cannot download e-mail attatchments

jpholden
17-04-2006, 2:34 PM
Each time I try to download an e-mail attatchment, I get one of the following messages.
'The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupt'
or
'Windows media player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available'
I know and trust the sender, and had no problems earlier downloading. Is there anything I can do to receive the files?

Neil Wilson
17-04-2006, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the B-G Forum for genealogy. Nice to see you joined today to post a computer problem.

The best answer I can think off is to ask your 'Friend' to sent the attachment again.

Thinking again, I should have replied on the grumpy old men forum.

MarkJ
17-04-2006, 7:35 PM
Each time I try to download an e-mail attatchment, I get one of the following messages.
'The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupt'
or
'Windows media player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available'
I know and trust the sender, and had no problems earlier downloading. Is there anything I can do to receive the files?

Firstly, unless you are certain the attachment was sent to you by your friend- do not open it. There are many worms which will send mails with attachments to people on the email list of a PC. The mail comes from your friends address - but it may not have been sent by them.
If you know your friend sent it for certain, then it would appear the message was corrupted - as it says. Or it has been sent using a compression method your PC does not understand.
There are lots of methods of compressing files - and lots of ways to decompress them. If you are using for example, Windows XP, it has a decompressing tool within the OS - but it will not open all compressed files. If possible, post the file type - e.g the extension, such as .zip or ,rar etc. That may help to identify a tool which can unzip the file.
If it is corrupt, then you need the friend to send it again.
The fact that WMP seems to wish to unzip it means you have accidentally set that sort of file to associate with WMP. There is another post on the forum which covers how to change that :)

Mark

coenmfam
18-04-2006, 1:15 AM
I presume you are using Windows but what version ? 95, 98, ME, XP, 2000 ....

what Internet browser and version are you using ? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Slim Browser .......

what is the extension of the compressed file eg .zip or .tar

from where are you downloading it Hotmail, Yahoo mail, G-Mail ......

Does this happen for any attachment or just this one ?

Do you know what kind of file it is when it is un-compressed ?

you need to give us a LOT more info about your situation before any reasonable help can be given

Nev

jpholden
18-04-2006, 9:36 PM
Please excuse my ignorance for not providing enough information. I am a silver surfer (NOT a grumpy old man! But Hey! I'm getting there!) who has trouble coming to terms with all the new technology such as electricity and horseless carriages etc.
I use Windows XP
My mail account is BT Yahoo mail
The file types all seem to be 'Application/ octect-stream
Ms Word do0cument
UK. F863.mail.Yahoo.com
Does this help at all? I have no idea what type of file it is when uncompressed.
At the risk of appearing to be a right pain in the bum, can you make your replies as simple as possible please.
I have this problem with all the attatchments.
Thanks for taking time out to read this.
John (Numbskull) H

coenmfam
19-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Be very wary of downloading an application ( programme ) as an attachment
sounds very suspicious

have you e-mailed your friend and asked if he/she meant to send you that e-mail and ask what type of file it should be un-compressed

if your friend doesn't know then I would assume that it is a virus

do you have an anti-virus and firewall installed on your computer ?

By the way
in which country do you live
( don't want to make any assumptions here just because you mentioned UK )
can you find any help from a local genealogical society
many have computer sections

Nev

Neil Wilson
19-04-2006, 7:30 PM
Please excuse my ignorance for not providing enough information. I am a silver surfer (NOT a grumpy old man! But Hey! I'm getting there!) who has trouble coming to terms with all the new technology such as electricity and horseless carriages etc.
I use Windows XP
My mail account is BT Yahoo mail
The file types all seem to be 'Application/ octect-stream
Ms Word do0cument
UK. F863.mail.Yahoo.com
Does this help at all? I have no idea what type of file it is when uncompressed.
At the risk of appearing to be a right pain in the bum, can you make your replies as simple as possible please.
John (Numbskull) HJohn
Do you check your e-mails using BT Yahoo web page? If so this will tell you if the file is malicious.
If you are using Outlook, there is something in Tools, Options, Security (tab) and make sure the Donot allow attachments to be saved ... is not ticked.
But on a safer note, check with your friend as to what he is sending you, it could be a virus / worm/ trojan etc e-mail which he hasn't sent.
cheers%3stream
Ms Word do0cument
UK. F863.mail.Yahoo.com
John (Numbskull) H[/QUOTE]John
Do you check your e-mails using BT Yahoo web page? If so this will tell you if the file is malicious.
If you are using Outlook, there is something in Tools, Options, Security (tab) and make sure the Donot allow attachments to be saved ... is not ticked.
But on a safer note, check with your friend as to what he is sending you, it could be a virus / worm/ trojan etc e-mail which he hasn't sent.
cheers
Neil