PDA

View Full Version : Searching for George Trim - birth/details

rasmusseneric
14-04-2006, 12:39 AM
I am searching for details of the birth of my wife's great-grandfather - George Trim. He emigarated to Australia aboard the "Almora" on 7 June, 1882, and landed in Brisbane on 2 August, 1882. His age on arrival was written down as 40. He married Maria Bevan on 13 November, 1882 in Brisbane. They had three (3) sons - including John Trim - my wife's grandfather.

I have a copy of John's birth certificate which gives George's English home town as Chedrock? (Chidrock?) but I can't decipher the Shire name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mythology
14-04-2006, 1:41 AM
"I can't decipher the Shire name."

Does it look anything like Dorset?
If so, I'd try Chideock for the iffy place name.

Mythology
14-04-2006, 2:04 AM
Further to which ...

That age of "40" on arrival is likely to be a rounded guess - anything that ends 0 or 5 is always suspicious, so I wouldn't take it as Gospel.

I don't have an Ancestry sub, so I'm only using the transcript here, but on the 1881 there is a George who the transcriber wasn't sure of the surname of, given as "Thim or Trim", aged 42, born Chideock, Dorset.
Now, it *says* that 62 year-old Anna is his wife. I would think it quite likely that there's a cock-up here and she's he's widowed mother, aunt or something.
He's in Clifton, which isn't a million miles from Brislington, where, from your other message, the future wife half was born, or even from Yatton, where Mark's spotted her working in 1881. Clifton, like Brislington, is part of Bristol, and Yatton's about ten miles away.
Given that they married only three months after arrival, bar a shipboard romance, it's likely that he knew her from back home, so I'd think that fellow is certainly worth further investigation.

rasmusseneric
14-04-2006, 2:37 AM
Thanks Mythology
You are correct - once you mention "Dorset" the writing becomes clear - it is certainly "Dorsetshire".

I don't want to bother you too much - but - what would you suggest for my next move?
I have to admit that I am rather a novice at this.

Regards,

Eric Rasmussen

Mythology
14-04-2006, 3:55 AM
Bearing in mind that you're in Australia, I'm probably the worst person in the world to advise you. I'm in London, and I don't have much at home, especially where Dorset is concerned, but I'd pop up town where I can get free access to almost anything - not exactly a lot of help to you!

I believe in getting them while they're young, when they are still with their parents, before they leave home and go to work for some bright spark who gets the surname and/or birthplace wrong, so ideally I'd like a look at the 1851 to make sure there isn't another fellow who might fit the description.
Other than getting the film copy of HO107/1861 through an LDS centre, I think you'll have a problem with this, as, from what I can see, Ancestry have missed a whole chunk here in 1851, so a sub with them wouldn't do the job.
Their 1851 listing for Dorset does not include Chideock, nor a number of other parishes which, according to the National Archives catalogue, are also on HO107/1861, with no note of them being missing.
Bradpole, Symondsbury, Stanton St Gabriel, Whitchurch Canonicorum, Wootton Fitzpaine and Catherston-Lewston are all missing from the Ancestry list and, as these are all towards the end of the piece, my guess is that it's split over two films and they've missed the second one.

However, as we don't have any other candidates for your boy ...
Chideock comes under Bridport registration district.
The GRO births index has an entry in 1838 December quarter, which is a perfect match for the age of 42 on the 1881 census:
Trim, George - Bridport - Vol. 8 - page 39
and this is the only one I can see with a Bridport reference who would fit the age even if that "40" in 1882 was correct.
So, if getting access to the census to try and find him at home in 1851 and make sure there aren't two of them is too much of a pain, you *could* get that birth cert, and keep your fingers crossed that it *is* the fellow born in Chideock, not a George Trim born somewhere else in the Bridport district, with your fellow not being registered.

rasmusseneric
14-04-2006, 7:14 AM
Thanks Mythology - again!

I will take your advice re the birth certificate.

At the risk of being a nuisance, how do I go about it? :confused:

Eric Rasmussen

Mythology
14-04-2006, 2:56 PM
I see that Steve's answered that in the Maria thread while I wasn't around, so I'll save my fingers.

Best of luck. :)

rasmusseneric
14-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks Mythology

Eric Rasmussen