PDA

View Full Version : Legg family of Bridgwater

kitch
12-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Looking for any information on Alice Legg of Bridgwater. She was born in 1892, daughter of William Legg (mother's name unknown at present). On December 18, 1918, she married William James Hill. He was born in 1892 in Bridgwater, but emigrated to Canada about 1913. As a soldier in the Canadian army during WW 1, he visited his hometown of Bridgwater and married Alice Legg. He went back to Canada after the war where he was discharged from the army, but then returned to Bridgwater where they had a son Walter Hill, born April 16, 1920. William James Hill returned to Canada about 1924 or so (uncertain) and according to some family stories, his wife and child were to follow, but never did. William James Hill died in 1976, and we have no idea whatever happened to this branch of the family. Any information would be appreciated.

Steve
14-04-2006, 8:06 AM
The 1901 census shows only 2 Alice Legg's. ( I've checked the soundex name varients as well) in somerset of the right age. One's father is Robert living in Bath and the other one appears to be your Alice as her father is William.
Alice's birth place is shown as Dawish, Devon, they are living in Shepton Mallett, mother is Jane (both parent show an age of 35). Alice also has a Brother Ernest aged 11 & a Sister Florence aged 2.
William shows his birth pace as being Winterbourne Abbas, Dorset
Jane shows her's as being Godmanstone, Dorset,
Ernest was born Piddletrenthide, Dorset
Florence was born at Athelhampton, Dorset
William's occupation is a General Farm Labourer
Page reference number is RG13/2313 Folio 104 page 10 schedule 48.
Their address is Windsor Hill Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

Regards Steve

kitch
15-04-2006, 1:55 AM
Thank you for the information on the Legg family. This chapter of our family history is a bit of a mystery for it wasn't until William James died that we even knew he'd been married, let alone had a son, and had returned to England for a few years. Every little bit of the story is very much appreciated.

kitch

Julie Tyrell
15-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Do you have access to the Uk censuses as William Legg is very easy to see in the other years too, with his parents George and Susan ( and lots of children!!). If you need this information let me and I will sort it out for you,
Julie

kitch
15-04-2006, 3:53 PM
Thank you too for your offer of assitance. I don't have access to the census records so any help would be appreciated. As mentioned above, we didn't even know William James Hill had married, gone back to England(briefly), and had a son until his death here in Canada in the 1970's. How does one go about tracking down his ex-wife (we don't know if they ever legally separated or divorced) and his son? William James Hill was my great uncle, and while he was kind enough to me, my father said his wife (the Alice Legg in question) was actually well rid of him because he was a drunk. This is one of those family matters you wonder whether to pursue or not. Does one pursue this "lost" branch of the family or let sleeping dogs lie?