PDA

View Full Version : My Name Interests are..........

terrier
02-10-2004, 7:05 PM
Mostly in NE Norfolk, and include:
BUSH.
BARTRAM.
CASTON.
CRASKE.
DAGLESS.
FIELDS.
FLOWERDEW/DAY.
HOWMAN/S.
KEELER.
RICHES.
SCOTTOW.
SOUTHGATE.
SPENCER.
STARLING.
WILSON.

richard horner
31-12-2004, 3:39 PM
Hi

I see you have connections to the above name. Are your Riches from the Norwich area with an Edward Riches (Hairdresser) beng one. I have a Mary Ann Riches marrying my gt gt gt gdfather James Horner in 1838.

regards
Richard

terrier
08-01-2005, 7:25 PM
Hi

I see you have connections to the above name. Are your Riches from the Norwich area with an Edward Riches (Hairdresser) beng one. I have a Mary Ann Riches marrying my gt gt gt gdfather James Horner in 1838.

regards
Richard
Hello Richard - Sorry I didnt reply earlier but I have only just found your message. The Riches family I am interested in were from the Saxthorpe/Corpusty area - Sarah Riches married William Howmans and had no connection with Norwich or Edward I am afraid.

richard horner
09-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, as they say if you don't ask you don't get.

regards
Richard

Mary Jones
23-03-2007, 6:00 AM
Hi Terrier,

I am interested in the Starlings of Norfolk as my mother was a Starling. The family were millers and came from the Broads, (Flegg, Burgh St. Margaret, Rollesby, etc.). What are the christian names you are looking for?

Mary

Sandra Parker
23-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Terrier,
My Bartrams are from Dickleburgh. Does that sound like they could be related to yours?
Sandra
Have just noticed date of Terrier's postings. Hopefully Terrier is still using this forum.

terrier
24-03-2007, 6:32 AM
I'm still alive and kicking thanks Sandra...... My Bartram hailed from Corpusty, Sidney James Bartram born c1888, he married into my line via Martha Howmans (b Saxthorpe 1888). I am afraid that is all I have on him at the moment. . . . . he is on my "to do" list....lol! Sorry I wasnt of more help to you.

terrier
24-03-2007, 6:43 AM
Hi Terrier,

I am interested in the Starlings of Norfolk as my mother was a Starling. The family were millers and came from the Broads, (Flegg, Burgh St. Margaret, Rollesby, etc.). What are the christian names you are looking for?

MaryHi thanks for the message Mary. The Starling I have in my tree was Hannah Starling/Scottow who married John Keeler in Corpusty in 1864..... There is a puzzle with Hannah. On her marriage certificate to John she uses the maiden name of Scottow, yet on a birth certificate for her daughter to John she has her maiden name as Starling... I have had several theories over the years given to me by various Starling/Scottow researchers, but nothing proven I'm afraid. Sorry I cant be of more help with your Starlings.

Geoffers
24-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I have in my tree was Hannah Starling/Scottow who married John Keeler in Corpusty in 1864..... There is a puzzle with Hannah. On her marriage certificate to John she uses the maiden name of Scottow, yet on a birth certificate for her daughter to John she has her maiden name as Starling.
I see that the 1841 census for Corpusty appears to show Thomas Starling living with Mary, Edward 4, and Hannah 2.

Corpusty registers record several Starling baptisms, beginning with Frances Hannah in 1839, Anna Maria 1841, Sarah Anne 1843 - but in 1849 John Newton SCOTTOW was baptised to Thomas Starling and Mary and then in 1853 Thomas SCOTTOW was baptised to Thomas Starling and Mary (Thomas SCOTTOW was buried the same year).

continued.....

Geoffers
24-03-2007, 11:44 AM
part 2....

Three possibilities seem to stand out:
1) Thomas Starling did not get married, his earlier baptisms were recorded by the local celric as though the parents were married - possibly the failure to marry came to light later.

This may possibly be discounted as the GRO index shows a marriage of a Thomas STARLING in March 1838 in Aylsham RD - a marriage is shown with the same reference for Mary REYNOLDS - are these the parents of the STARLING/SCOTTOW children? The 1851 census shows Mary STARLING as being born in Corpusty and Corpusty registers show Mary Goldsmith REYNOLDS being baptised in 1816 to Richard REYNOLDS and his wife Mary (late GOLDSMITH) - so illegitimacy at this generation may not be the case.

continued......

Geoffers
24-03-2007, 11:49 AM
part 3....

2) Thomas STARLING was illegitimate, born to a SCOTTOW mother. This is something you will have to check against the baptism registers for Hanworth (he was shown as born there in the 1851 census)

3) Thomas was baptised Thomas Starling SCOTTOW and at various times used his second forename as his surname for reasons which may be difficult to establish - again checking the registers for his birthplace may shed some light on the subject.

Geoffers

terrier
29-03-2007, 7:53 AM
Thanks Geoffers for the input - I have a lot of research to do on this methinks!

coenmfam
29-03-2007, 12:32 PM
There are a few Dagless families in Edgefield, Norfolk

Nev

rihuggett
26-08-2008, 3:53 PM
Mostly in NE Norfolk, and include:
BUSH.
BARTRAM.
CASTON.
CRASKE.
DAGLESS.
FIELDS.
FLOWERDEW/DAY.
HOWMAN/S.
KEELER.
RICHES.
SCOTTOW.
SOUTHGATE.
SPENCER.
STARLING.
WILSON.

Hi, I see you have Dagless down (copied above). One of my ancesors was a Charles Dagless married in 1807 to an Eliza Strike in Briston, Norfolk not far from Corpusty and Saxthorpe, and dying there. FreeReg (accessible via www.freebmd.org.uk) which incidentally is excellent for Norfolk (relative to other counties) does not give a baptism place for Charles and I would like to go back a couple of generations and perhaps find a link between him and other Dagleseses of whom there are loads in Corpusty and Saxthope, so could you bear in mind my plight when investigating your line of Daglesses please?

thanks very much, rihuggett