PDA

View Full Version : File transfer

BeeE586
11-04-2006, 11:13 AM
It is some years since I had to do this, and maybe it is just another 'senior moment', but I seem to remember being able to transfer a datebase file in WORKS either to EXCEL or to WORD. At this moment in time either one would do as I want to send the transcript of part of a register that I did in WORKS to a fellow researcher who does not have this programme and cannot read the attachment I sent.

Please, can anyone remind me how it was done ? I have Windows XP Home, Office 2000 and Works 6. Any help most gratefully received.

Eileen

Peter Goodey
11-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Amazingly I've still got Works on my machine (I thought I'd dumped it long ago).

It looks as if you can save the Works file as a CSV file (*.csv) and then that file can be imported into almost anything. In fact a CSV file is probably the best way to send it. At least, that's what I'd do.

Terry
11-04-2006, 1:58 PM
Definitely use CSV format- it creates a very small file, and can be opened by all (I think) spreadsheet programmes- in works its called "text and commas"
Its what the FreeCEN census projects use for sending of all transcription files.

BeeE586
11-04-2006, 7:35 PM
Gentleman - my thanks. I don't think that is what I did in the past, but will give it a go.

Eileen -- |bowdown|