PDA

View Full Version : Death Cert Date Query

Carrie Meerten
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
was just wondering if anyone might have an answer to this question -

I have a death cert - certified copy of an entry in the Marine Register - now part of the description also says - Return of Deats at Sea, reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen under the provision of "Merchant Shipping Act, 1894" and 1970. During the month of ....... handwritten is August 1940.

Now my query is this, if the above date says August 1940 then how can the Date of Death on the same cert be 29.05.1940. Place of death is Dunkirk.

Peter Goodey
08-04-2006, 1:58 PM
The death was in May? And it was registered in August?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Mythology
08-04-2006, 2:06 PM
I am not familiar with this modern stuff, but presumably because, as stated, that is when it was reported not when the person died.
Even with ordinary deaths on land, which are reported fairly quickly so that burial can take place, you can, for example, find a death in late September being in the GRO index for the October to December quarter, because the index is based on the registration date not the death date. Ships can sometimes be at sea for ages, so I wouldn't think there's anything unusual in this one.

(Edit: Peter types faster than I do, of course - everybody does!)

peter nicholl
08-04-2006, 4:06 PM
Hi Carrie

An apology for stating the obvious, but May 1940? You are not just talking Dunkirk, you are talking about DUNKIRK!! May 26 to June 3, the small ships, etc. I imagine it took a bit of time for the dust to settle.
Peter
PS Ooops!:o just seen your other post re Dunkirk.

Carrie Meerten
08-04-2006, 9:52 PM
Thanks guys for your replies. I now see the silliness in my question. |oopsredfa

I had a moment when I posted the question. :o

Sinus headache + head cold + 4 kids = brain that doesn't want to function properly.

Thanks.