PDA

View Full Version : Campion mystery

Keltic
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
I am looking for any information about my wife's grandfather Alfred Benjamin Campion b 1876/7. I can find no records of birth, marriage or census. He eventually lived and died in Warrington in1947 and was married to Jane Edwards of Wednesbury. I see there was a Benjamin Joseph Campion born in East Retford 1877. Could this be him? A corresponding mystery is that my wife's grandfather recorded the death of a five year old boy Alfred in 1915 but I can find no record of the birth of an Alfred Campion in 1910 other than the son of John Francis Campion brother of Benjamin Joseph Campion. Any suggestions would be welcome.

kmdward
10-04-2006, 2:01 AM
you say there are no certificates or census returns for your Alfred. Do you have a marriage to Jane, or is it only on childrens's birth certificates that you find her name.
I had a quick look at the 1901 census index (1901census online), and found a Alfred Campion in Staffs census place Wednesday born Bilston Staffs. Also a Jane Campion in Staffs census place Wednesday born Wednesday Staffs.
these could by your couple, married by 1901.
On the 1881 census there is an Alfred Campion born Staffs in 1873, perhaps your date of birth is a bit out.
Might be worth you having a look.

Keltic
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for that. I did look at these about four years ago and eliminated them for reasons I can't remember. However, now having access to all the censuses I realise that dates (and names) need to be taken with caution. I have found discrepancies of up to 8 years between subsequent censuses. Also, in censuses for the Campion family I originally quoted, John Francis Campion born in Sheffield in 1874 becomes Walter Campion born in Manchester in 1881 and Frank Campion born in Sheffield in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. I shall therefore revisit these suggestions and report on my findings. The Jane Campion of Wednesbury you refer to was not my wife's grandmother who was Jane Edwards, single in the 1901 census so the marriage was after that, but we have no marriage certificate. What we have is a) a 1947 death certificate for Alfred Campion aged 71. b) a 1915 death certificate for Alfred Campion aged 5. c) a 1913 birth certificate for my wife's mother Elsie. Each of these certificates refer to Alfred Benjamin Campion. Anyway thanks for prompting me to re-examine previous assumptions.

Ladkyis
10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
The thing is that he was under no obligation to use the name he was given at birth. He wouldn't have needed his birth certificate to get married so he could call himself what he liked. I have great grandparents like that, three different surnames two forenames and lied about the place and date of birth - they really must be laughing their socks off whereever they are right now

Ann

Keltic
10-04-2006, 10:23 PM
That's what I suspect and is why I am investigating possible alternatives. Another interesting fact is that Ernest Campion from Bilston, mentioned in a previous reply, also ended up in Warrington at the same time as our Alfred. Thanks
Fred

Keltic
07-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks to the 1911 census I have now solved the mystery of missing records for Alfred Benjamin Campion. The census shows he was born in Tuxford, Nottinghamshire. I found him there christened Joseph Benjamin Campion. From that I was able to trace him through the census's. I found his marriage certificate on the Scotlandspeople website - Alfred Benjamin Campion married to Jane Edwards, His parents were John Campion and Elizabeth (nee Bullimore). Perhaps this will now lead to other connections.

Jan1954
07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Congratulations, Keltic.

The 1911 census is solving a lot of mysteries - but also throwing up more for others! ;)

Onwards and backwards....