PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Lookup request

HiFly
05-04-2006, 6:22 PM
Looking for household of Elizabeth VALLIS b 1863 according to 1881 Census @ Headington Quarry, Oxford. She's residing there at Wesleyan Terrace, Headington - but that's all I have on her...and as I have most of the details of the rest of the Headington Vallis families I'm wondering who she is.....

Thanks - HiFly

Davran
05-04-2006, 6:27 PM
Hi,

If she was born 1863 she won't be on the 1861 census! Did you mean 1853?

:)

DebbieAnn
05-04-2006, 6:49 PM
In 1881, 18-yr-old Elizabeth Vallis was living with her grandparents Stephen and Hannah (or Annie) Goodgame, along with her 9-yr-old cousin Kate Goodgame. In 1871, Elizabeth (age 7) is also living with her grandparents Stephen and Annie, with neither of her parents in sight (though her cousin Emily Hughes of the same age is there). In 1861, Stephen and his wife Hannah have 2 children living with them - a son Stephen, Jr. and a daughter Emily (age 19). It is possible this daughter married a Vallis and gave birth to Elizabeth in 1863. I would start by looking for the marriage of Emily Goodgame...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
05-04-2006, 6:59 PM
In 1851, a daughter Emily (age 15) is living with her parents Stephen and Hannah and brother stephen, Jr. This Emily can't be the 19-yr-old Emily living there in 1861, but may have been in fact Eliza, who in Mar qtr 1856 married Thomas Vallis in Headington, Oxfordshire (vol 3a pg 580). Emily (who would have been about age 9) seems to have been missed in the 1851 census, unless she was residing elsewhere that night. Elizabeth, then, likely was the daughter of Eliza Goodgame from her marriage to Thomas Vallis.

Debbie

DebbieAnn
05-04-2006, 7:30 PM
In 1861, Thomas and Eliza Valles (sp.) are living in Headington with two daughters: Emily M. (age 4) and Eliza S. (age 2), both born Headington.

RG9/890
Registration district: Headington
Sub-registration district: St Clement
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Folio: 47
Page: 22

Does this help?

Debbie

DebbieAnn
05-04-2006, 7:53 PM
In 1871, Thomas E. and Eliza Vallis are in Headington with 6 children (Emily, Eliza, Thomas, Arthur, Albert, and Alice). It's possible their daughter (?) Elizabeth was simply visiting her cousin at her grandparents' that day, as they were the same age...

In 1881, Thomas and Eliza Vallis are in Headington with 7 children and one grand-daughter. They are: Eliza Sarah, Thomas Edmund (probably Jr.), Arthur, Albert, Alice, Stephen, Laura, and Florence. It's not clear who Florence's parents are. Also not clear is why Elizabeth, if she is their daughter, would be at her grandparents'.

You really need to find either Elizabeth's birth record or a record of marriage for her to be certain, as she doesn't appear in any census with anyone who could be a parent...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
05-04-2006, 7:57 PM
There is an Elizabeth Hannah Vallis who married in Sep qtr 1888 in Headington (vol 3a pg 1104) to James Johnson.

In 1901 they are living in Headington with 6 children (Algernon, Eliza, Maimia, Bessie, Hilda, and James).

Debbie

HiFly
06-04-2006, 1:15 AM
Thanks DebbieAnn

It took me a while to follow you step by step - doooh did my brain hurt - and then had to check all against my files....after 3 hours of cross checking all the data from your posting, and against all the scraps of data in my files...SUCCESS!! With your help managed to confirm and link as well as extend one of the Headington Vallis Families with loads of new leads...

Thank you ever so much....for taking the trouble..much appreciated.

Davran - you are correct - I misstyped my Lookup request - it should have stated 1871 & not 1861!

HiFly

DebbieAnn
06-04-2006, 3:40 AM
Glad to have helped!

Debbie