PDA

View Full Version : Directories - Residential

Carrie Meerten
31-03-2006, 4:14 AM
Is there a site available that allows searches of older directories, not just back in the 1800's or early 1900's but from then upto recent times.

If no site, does anyone know how to obtain copies?

I am not after the Trade directories, just the normal everday directories for residential.

Wirral
31-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi CarrieAlthough they are called trade directories, half of the book is usually an alphabetical list of residents (heads of households). In Liverpool, up until about the 1950s, the occupation of the resident was also given. The Liverpool directories go up until 1970. My local library has a few Wallasey Postal directories from the 1st half of the 20thC.
The only other records I know of are the electoral registers, but these are not name indexed, only by address. They are held by local libraries. I do not know of any older ones that are available online, although I think there is a current electoral register (& a current phone directory) that you can pay for (someone else can probably give you the link).

Carrie Meerten
31-03-2006, 10:58 AM
thanks for that. will look at the trade registers when i find them again. i have sooo many links in my favourites folder, that i can't find things again sometimes and/or forget that they are there.