PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation of names

Julie Tyrell
28-03-2006, 8:06 PM
If it is not time consuming enough (though very exciting and infuriating) researching my own family tree, I have been roped in to doing my mother-in-laws!!

Her grandfather's sister were 'Jen' and 'Renee' White, born between 1911-1918, before I begin my search I wondered what the abbreviations of these names stood for.

On a quick look there didn't seem to be that many Jennifers around then! So any suggestions would be great,
thanks Julie

Wirral
28-03-2006, 9:33 PM
Renee may be exactly that - but could also be a corrupted Irene.!:eek: A corrupted Irene? What bit of scandal are you about to reveal, Myth? ;)

Davran
28-03-2006, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Mythology]
The last Irene that I had anything to do with was at primary school, the girl who was later to become my step-sister. I never liked her in the first place, and she wasn't overfond of me after I caught her cheating and threw her books out of the window! :D [QUOTE]

Oh dear, my mum is Irene, but always called Rene (no extre 'e') and is a lovely lady |hug| - SHE would NEVER cheat! Coincidentally, mum-in-law is also Irene, but I didn't know that for a number of years as she likes to be known by her middle name - SHE wouldn't cheat either. |scold|

pejay
28-03-2006, 10:43 PM
i agree, i think renee is definately a corruption of irene, as for jen how about jane it sounds similar, i had an ancestor who was called janey and i always thought until quite recently that her name was jenny.

get2BJ
28-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi Julie,

I have a good friend who is known as Jen or Jenny, but her name is actually written as Jeanne. This looks and sounds rather French to me, but she says her parents always called her Jenny. I understand her grandmother had the same name and was also known as Jen or Jenny. My friend is in her mid 50s and from the north east of England - I don't know if this would be relevant to pronounciation.

Best wishes
Brenda

get2BJ
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Julie,

I have just found some details of an ancestor of my step father and thought of this thread almost immediately. It's a burial from Kirkham Parish Registers in Lancashire for 27 Jul 1585 of a Jenet Threlfall. A little earlier perhaps than your mother in law's relatives but I wondered whether you had found a suitable extension to your Jen and Ren and decided to post this as another alternative for you to consider.

Best wishes

Brenda

Fulhamster
13-04-2006, 3:33 PM
Dear Julie,
I have an aunt called Renee and also a very dear freind the same. they are both about 80 years young. I also have a work colleague, about to retire, who also has the same name. Perhaps the name was 'fashionable' around the 1920's?